Sick chicken having extreme trouble passing food, being tube fed, Help!

Snowy Canadian

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2022
Canada
Hello, I have a sick hen who went downhill due to un untreated case of scaly leg mites. I didn't realize anything was wrong until one day she was just on the ground in the corner, she could barely walk, and had stopped eating. By the time I realized what was wrong with her, and started treating her feet, she couldn't move to eat food, so we had to hand feed her. Eventually she stopped eating entirely, and we resorted to tube feeding her. Her treatments were going well, and she appeared to be making progress on a recovery, but in the morning 2 days ago, her crop was still mostly full. Yesterday I had tried a treatment for an impacted crop on her, we fed her lots of water, massaged her crop, and then allowing it to drain out of her mouth. We repeated thin until all the food in her crop was gone. She was still empty in the morning again, and we tube fed her more of the food, but tonight she was still full again, and hadn't been pooping.

The food we were feeding her was just regulars chicken pellets mushed in warm water, and we were feeding her twice a day. We noticed that after a while of tube feeding she was having yellow sulfury poops, but we assumed this might have been related to her being sick. She has been like this for a few weeks, and just a few days ago I had the idea to isolate her, to protect her form the roosters and other hens. Could this impaction be a result of the tube feeding? I had another really sick chicken I had to tube feed, she had similar yellow poop, and a similar impaction that led to her death, and I don't want that to happen again. Another thing I noticed about my chicken is that her comb has fallen over slightly in the center.

she seems like she has an impacted crop, but it didn't get better when we cleared her crop, and while she was full, she was still able to pass a small amount of food. does this sound like an impacted crop, or another impaction somewhere else? is the yellow poops a result of the tube feeding, if so how can I tube feed her safely and help her make a full recovery? Any feedback would be appreciated, I have only had chickens for a year, and I don't have much experience with healing things like this.
1649911396609.png

Here is a view of the hens feet, many of the diseased scales have been coming off, and she has been standing much easier

1649911430209.png

Here is a view of her comb, you can see a part of it has flopped over, despite this it is still quite ridged and feels like a normal comb

1649911493099.png

Here is a side view of her, she looks like that because we had just emptied her crop, and were giving her water

In your other thread earlier this year, it was suggested that she may have some reproductive problems. I would agree with that suggestion.
Crop problems often are symptom seen in hens that have an underlying condition, especially ones that have reproductive problems.
Do what you can to make her comfortable. Treat the crop symptoms, sometimes a hen will rally for another short period of time, but sometimes they continue to decline and need to be put out of their misery.
I'm sorry she's declining again.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ly-eating-deteriorating.1511592/post-25411774

In your other thread earlier this year, it was suggested that she may have some reproductive problems. I would agree with that suggestion.
Crop problems often are symptom seen in hens that have an underlying condition, especially ones that have reproductive problems.
Do what you can to make her comfortable. Treat the crop symptoms, sometimes a hen will rally for another short period of time, but sometimes they continue to decline and need to be put out of their misery.
I'm sorry she's declining again.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ly-eating-deteriorating.1511592/post-25411774
Hi, thanks for the reply. While I will still admit that a reproductive infection could be a potential cause, it doesn't fit all of her symptoms, and upon treatment of her feet mites she was beginning to make a recovery. When I got her in the summer of 2021 she already had scaly leg mites, I had tried treating her mites soon after. I thought that I was successful and ended the treatment, but it turns out I mustn't have completely gotten rid of them and so her feet continued to get worse until their current point. After doing a bit more research, it appears the slop I'm feeding her is only giving her a fraction of the water a normal chicken drinks. So it's possible her trouble with food could be from dehydration. I will feed her more water, but her blockage is still an issue. Do you know of any way I could unblock her? Or even where she could be blocked if its caused by dehydration? I'm relatively new to chickens, and I would appreciate any advice you could offer. Thanks, Have a good day.

Back
Top Bottom