caligenevieve

Hatching
Jan 25, 2023
This is Betty. For the past week she’s been lethargic, sitting in the same spot barely moving, her eyes were swollen shut and now the slightly open and cloudy/glossy. Won’t eat or drink on her own, I have to give her water through a dropper. She poops but it’s super liquidy. She recently started breathing heavier with her mouth open. Her head also twitches when she tries to turn it. I’ve been giving her VetRX, omoxycylin, and ACV but she hasn’t gotten any better. We’ve had her in quarantine for a week and the other hens seem fine. Anybody know what’s going on?

Attachments

• 2D00CF4C-A8AA-4932-AB54-0E92F8EC675A.jpeg
    2D00CF4C-A8AA-4932-AB54-0E92F8EC675A.jpeg
    585.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 9477BF13-5776-428D-A2A6-6EBE5A2F1122.jpeg
    9477BF13-5776-428D-A2A6-6EBE5A2F1122.jpeg
    564.8 KB · Views: 12
I'm sorry to hear this.
Any mucus, wheezing, sneezing? What's her crop feel like?
What's her age and diet?
Vet rx isn't a cure for anything and acv won't fix this.
It could be vitamin deficiency compounded by somethimg else.

Welcome to BYC! :welcome
When was her last egg? Is her abdomen bloated? Does she waddle when she walks?
She hasn’t layed since she’s been quarantined, a couple of hens haven’t laid since it’s been cold. She doesn’t feel bloated and she’ll only take a couple steps before plopping down. Thanks for the welcome!

I'm sorry to hear this.
Any mucus, wheezing, sneezing? What's her crop feel like?
What's her age and diet?
Vet rx isn't a cure for anything and acv won't fix this.
It could be vitamin deficiency compounded by somethimg else.
I haven’t seen any mucus or fluids coming from her, she’ll wheeze sometimes when she breathes out. She was grown when we got her (late 2018) so I estimate she’s around 6. Her crop feels fine to me. Our hens get mostly pellet diet and fruits and mealworms as a treat so nothing out of the ordinary.

I haven’t seen any mucus or fluids coming from her, she’ll wheeze sometimes when she breathes out. She was grown when we got her (late 2018) so I estimate she’s around 6. Her crop feels fine to me. Our hens get mostly pellet diet and fruits and mealworms as a treat so nothing out of the ordinary.
Is her crop fuller than it should be with her not eating on her own?
Try treating her for wry neck, she could be too dizzy to function. 1 400i.u vitamin E gel cap and 1/2 a B complex tablet every day, for a week or so or until she improves. Hopefully it's just wry neck and nothing else.

She may be egg bound, especially if she has stop laying since these symptoms. I have an egg bound hen too currently. I’ve soaked her in an epsom salt bath because that is what everyone says will help. My hen also has these exact same symptoms

Back
Top Bottom