Silkie/ameraucana Mixes

PoultryQueen29

Songster
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
North Carolina
Anyone own a silkie/ameraucana mix and can tell me about them? I am interested in buying some hens and I want to know mainly how big they get, when you can tell the gender, and when they start laying but I also want to know if getting 3-4 hens will be ok for them socially.

I also love bantam cochins, frizzles, and cochin/frizzle mixes
big_smile.png

Silkie-Xs, as I like to call my Silkie/Ameraucana mixes, are smooth feathered for the first generation (F1). After that, some chicks start having silkied feathers. The size is somewhere between a large bantam and a small LF. They lay a blue or mint green egg that is also an in-between, being on the line between Medium and Large. I can usually tell the gender around 3-4 months old, unless they crow early! My hens started laying between 20 and 24 weeks, and are dependable layers. They are easygoing birds and tend to bond with their clutch mates, so not many social problems with them. Here are some of my F1s:

(In the background, behind the white Silkie)
56682_100_1724_white_frizzle-gened_silkie_roo_and_three_silkiexameraucana_hens.jpg

56682_100_1489_unfinished_chicken_tractor_one_2.jpg

And some of my F2s:
56682_100_1982.jpg

56682_100_1963.jpg

I know its an old post but I wanted to share a picture of my Silkie/Ameraucana Young roo. I just love his coloring! !

does anyone sell their silkie/ameraucana crosses? wondering how much would be reasonable to ask for chicks

Back
Top Bottom