Silkie/ameraucana Mixes

miiii.PNG

Silkie-Xs, as I like to call my Silkie/Ameraucana mixes, are smooth feathered for the first generation (F1). After that, some chicks start having silkied feathers. The size is somewhere between a large bantam and a small LF. They lay a blue or mint green egg that is also an in-between, being on the line between Medium and Large. I can usually tell the gender around 3-4 months old, unless they crow early! My hens started laying between 20 and 24 weeks, and are dependable layers. They are easygoing birds and tend to bond with their clutch mates, so not many social problems with them. Here are some of my F1s:

(In the background, behind the white Silkie)
56682_100_1724_white_frizzle-gened_silkie_roo_and_three_silkiexameraucana_hens.jpg

56682_100_1489_unfinished_chicken_tractor_one_2.jpg

And some of my F2s:
56682_100_1982.jpg

56682_100_1963.jpg
Boy do I need Help! I'm a city gal living in the country. About a year ago I got the bright idea of raising chickens, what the hell was I thinking?? I told the feed store I wanted 1 Silkie and 1banty they would be pets for my grandchildren, and 2 Ameraucana's for there eggs. I was very adamant about NO ROOSTERS! Ha!! Jokes on me, wound up with 3 awnry roosters and a snooty amer. hen named, Stripper. We found NO kill homes for our banty and the Amer. It seemed no one was interested in Falcor our silkie which was fine as we adopted 4 more hens ( Rhode Island reds that I ordered from a reputable company, not a local feed store! ) I felt he would come in handy protecting the flock since they free range. Here's where I need help, Stripper had found a LG patch of vines and decided to lay eggs there, I thought nothing of it because sometimes hens will lay eggs in the dumbest places when free-ranging, I got the biggest shock of my life when I checked on her yesterday, there were 4 baby chicks!! I had no idea. Now I'm not a complete idiot, but I figured because of the size difference of a very small silkie and a very large ameraucana there was no way, hmmm...SHOCKER! So what should I do? Should I move them to the henhouse? If I do will the other chickens hurt them? And what about falcor, will he kill the babies if left Alone? Panicking here folks need your help please. Thanks for taking the time to read this😬

Boy do I need Help! I'm a city gal living in the country. About a year ago I got the bright idea of raising chickens, what the hell was I thinking?? I told the feed store I wanted 1 Silkie and 1banty they would be pets for my grandchildren, and 2 Ameraucana's for there eggs. I was very adamant about NO ROOSTERS! Ha!! Jokes on me, wound up with 3 awnry roosters and a snooty amer. hen named, Stripper. We found NO kill homes for our banty and the Amer. It seemed no one was interested in Falcor our silkie which was fine as we adopted 4 more hens ( Rhode Island reds that I ordered from a reputable company, not a local feed store! ) I felt he would come in handy protecting the flock since they free range. Here's where I need help, Stripper had found a LG patch of vines and decided to lay eggs there, I thought nothing of it because sometimes hens will lay eggs in the dumbest places when free-ranging, I got the biggest shock of my life when I checked on her yesterday, there were 4 baby chicks!! I had no idea. Now I'm not a complete idiot, but I figured because of the size difference of a very small silkie and a very large ameraucana there was no way, hmmm...SHOCKER! So what should I do? Should I move them to the henhouse? If I do will the other chickens hurt them? And what about falcor, will he kill the babies if left Alone? Panicking here folks need your help please. Thanks for taking the time to read this😬
You should move this thread to the “raising chicks” forum so more people will see it.Start a new thread.😊
For now though move mama and the chicks to their own private space with chick crumble ( mom can eat it too) water and shelter. They also need to be in a space that is predator proof, including from snakes and rodents. Chicks make easy snacks for just about anything. Congratulations and good luck.😊

You should move this thread to the “raising chicks” forum so more people will see it.Start a new thread.😊
For now though move mama and the chicks to their own private space with chick crumble ( mom can eat it too) water and shelter. They also need to be in a space that is predator proof, including from snakes and rodents. Chicks make easy snacks for just about anything. Congratulations and good luck.😊
We want to see pics! Silkie x Ameraucana are one of my favorite crosses! They are typically beautiful!!! I just picked up a roo that I was told was Ameraucana x GLW but when I got him home, it's evident that the mom was not GLW and had silkie genetics. So I inquired and it turns out, there was a silkie mix hen in the pen with the GLW and she's undoubtedly my boy's mom. I was quite happy with the cross I thought I was getting but now I'm over the moon with what I actually got ❤ His temperament is amazing and he is helping fill the hole left by a roo I lost last year. So happy for you and this surprise little blessing! Can't wait to see pics of your chicks!

Attachments

• 20210926_084115.jpg
    20210926_084115.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210926_084249.jpg
    20210926_084249.jpg
    807 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210926_084304.jpg
    20210926_084304.jpg
    917.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210926_084216.jpg
    20210926_084216.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210926_085007.jpg
    20210926_085007.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210926_085928.jpg
    20210926_085928.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210926_090007.jpg
    20210926_090007.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210926_090208.jpg
    20210926_090208.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 50
We want to see pics! Silkie x Ameraucana are one of my favorite crosses! They are typically beautiful!!! I just picked up a roo that I was told was Ameraucana x GLW but when I got him home, it's evident that the mom was not GLW and had silkie genetics. So I inquired and it turns out, there was a silkie mix hen in the pen with the GLW and she's undoubtedly my boy's mom. I was quite happy with the cross I thought I was getting but now I'm over the moon with what I actually got ❤ His temperament is amazing and he is helping fill the hole left by a roo I lost last year. So happy for you and this surprise little blessing! Can't wait to see pics of your chicks!
What a handsome boy!
Here is my silkie/ameraucana pullet.😊
EC63F05B-5F2E-469F-9830-3276A119D8EE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom