Silkie Frizzle?

Hi guys! Long story short...I ordered bantam brahmas from a hatchery and all but one showed up alive. It was awful. So I was looking for local chicks to keep my singleton company. I never owned silkies, before but I found silkie chicks 3 days younger so I picked up 3. I instantly fell in love so when a friend couldn't sell all her chicks at market, I picked up 6 of her leftover silkies...I know...chicken math got me. The 6 are a week older and wings are starting to feather. This one in the pic is one of the group of 3 silkies, only one week old. Feathers just starting to show...could it be that my baby is a frizzle?! Beautiful baby...I'd be so excited! Feathers coming in just dont look like the rest. So cute! Thanks in advance. I'm just starting to learn about this breed so I appreciate the experienced silkie opinions. Probably too early to tell but thought I would ask. I call this chick "Sunny" for reference. View attachment 3772579View attachment 3772580View attachment 3772581View attachment 3772579
20240322_125645_resized.jpg
UPDATE: 2 frizzles out of 12 chicks...Sunny & Peanut

I'm not an expert but I think the fluffy is a sizzle, and the more curly or bent look is frizzle. I also know many different types of birds can have sizzle and frizzle. I was told from the hatchery you can not breed two frizzles together because it will result in a chick who will loose her feathers. The breeding has to be a 50/50. Making it hard to predict who will frizzle. I have two frizzle chicks who are Easter Eggers and I hope I get at least one frizzle look.i won't know until later... hope this helps out some.
The term “sizzle” was ones for what is now the satin breed. Sizzle is an outdated term and even though it sounds like it should be a “satin frizzle” it is not.

Back
Top Bottom