Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Do they try to see who can climb to the top of ya....my d'uccle Chatty is always in my lap but.if someone else is too she's gotta be above em! She's been fighting one of my boys too! Lil turd
When they were baby chicks theyd crawl up to my shoulder and snuggle under my hair.. but now that theyve gotten a taste of the great outdoors, its just my lap for a few minutes, until they think another chicken has found something to eat, then they're off to fight them for it 🤣

Here's a good genetics question for you. Are the genetics the same for chickens as they are for cats about calico?

No. Birds use different genes for colors than mammals. Cats it's two sex linked color genes that are carried on the X chromosome. Which is why male calicos are so rare being XXY.

Last edited:
I have a semi-emergency question, I went out to check my broody's eggs and I found one partially cracked. It is due to hatch Tuesday so it doesn't have that many days left. I don't even know how it got cracked unless it hit something hard in the coop. Is there anything I can do or just hope for the best?

Attachments

• 20230511_104902.jpg
    20230511_104902.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 5
I have a semi-emergency question, I went out to check my broody's eggs and I found one partially cracked. It is due to hatch Tuesday so it doesn't have that many days left. I don't even know how it got cracked unless it hit something hard in the coop. Is there anything I can do or just hope for the best?

If you have an incubator I'd put it in there. It could be crushed on accident now it's got a weak spot

You can very carefully drip wax from a candle on just the crack to strengthen it. I usually do it from several inches above the egg so it cools enough before touching the egg.

Back
Top Bottom