Skunks - dispose or release?

Iain Utah

Crowing
12 Years
Dec 17, 2011
Hey all, it's that time of year when predators seem to become a problem in our area and we are in major trapping mode again. 90% of the time we catch raccoons. Those we dispose of with a 22. But occasionally we also catch skunks. We disposed of the 1st skunk, but have since released the others, figuring they do not pose a threat to our birds. I was curious what others do when they catch a skunk. Do you dispose or release?

Also, for those who release without relocating, what are the odds of trapping the same skunk again? Do they become trap wary?

They ARE a threat, and it's illegal to trap and relocate wild animals.
Most animals will eventually learn not to enter traps
Some just learn quicker than others

I kill everything I trap unless I know it's a neighbor's pet

From this article.

http://icwdm.org/inspection/livestock.asp

Skunks kill few adult birds, When skunks kill poultry, they generally kill only one or two birds and maul them considerably.

Skunks are serious nest robbers. Eggs are usually opened at one end; the edges are crushed as the skunk punches its nose into the hole to lick out the contents. The eggs may appear to have been hatched, except for the edges. When in a more advanced stage of incubation, eggs are likely to be chewed in small pieces. Eggs may be removed from the nest, but rarely more than 3 feet (1 m) away.

Here in Arkansas skunks carry rabies more than any other animal.

Animal Rabies in Arkansas 2013 as of 10/16/13
Bat = 25
Cat = 2
Cattle = 1
Dog = 2
Horse = 1
Skunk = 107
Total = 138

With me, skunks are one animal that don't get a chance to become trap-wise.

Please, if you catch it, kill it; skunks, coons, and possums. They get smarter and still love the birds, eggs, and feed. Relocation is illegal for good reasons, and they know where your good stuff is already. Don't trap if you can't bear to take care of those problem critters. Mary

I only have geese and ducks, and from what I can tell, skunks tend to leave them alone. As for feed, my biggest nuisance by far are deer (they drive my crazy
barnie.gif
), requiring me to feed well before dusk during the colder months.

For what it is worth, I have not relocated the skunks, instead have opened door at trap location to release back onto my property. I cannot imagine how one relocates a skunk without getting sprayed.

Has anyone lost larger sized birds to skunks or had any of their pets contract rabies?

So you're either trapping multiple skunks or the same one over and over. Skunks will kill poultry, eat your eggs and feed and here in MN are also the most common carrier of rabies. Please - if you're going to trap something kill it (unless, of course, it's a neighbor's pet). I do commend you for not "relocating" it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful information. I guess we will be disposing of skunks in the future.

If I find out that YOUR relocated anything killed my flock I will be looking at YOU for total reimbursement!

Back
Top Bottom