Soaking whole grain mix overnight for chicks

I'm posting tonight to share my feed plan for my chicks. It's my first time having chickens and they should be here tomorrow or Saturday. I didn't want them to get started on traditional crumble or pellets because everything I found is full of soy and fillers. After a ton of research these past few days I decided to create a whole grain mix based on which vitamins/amino acids are vital for chicks. I don't think this mix is perfect yet but, I'm comfortable with this starting point for them:
* This mix will result in 1 lb. of feed.
* I boiled water for 15 minutes to remove any chlorine. While water boiled I mixed the grains and egg shells in a large glass bowl and set them aside. Next, I cut the tops off the broccoli (finely chopped them). I chose broccoli florets because they are tender and easy for the chicks to eat. We also used the broccoli leaves because there high in anti oxidants and contains vitamins E and K. After that I finely chopped up my kale leaves and put them with the broccoli. We chose kale for a vegetable protein because it contains the necessary amino acids cystine and methionine. When the water was ready I poured it over the grains until they were just covered. The water soaked up fast and the seeds already felt soft after 20 minutes. I didn't want to soak the broccoli and kale because I figured it could get too soft and I'm not exactly sure when the chicks will show up. I will add the greens to the mix before serving the feed. I want to mention this isn't a fermented feed method, it's just an overnight soak.

NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS:
Protein: Split Pea - 20% = 91 Grams

Grain: Cracked Corn - 33.5% = 152 Grams
Black Oil Sunflower Seeds - 33.5% = 152 Grams

Vegetable Protein: Broccoli - 7.5% = 34 Grams
Kale - 7.5% = 34 Grams

Pasture: Grass, Weeds, Etc. - 2% = 9 Grams

Calcium: Baked Egg Shells (Finely Crushed) - 2% = 9 Grams

Salt: 1% = 4.5 Grams

We will also be using a mix of water, honey, garlic and apple cider vinegar for the first 2 days. It gives them an immune and probiotic boost. This is a 1 gallon mix and sits overnight: 1 gallon of water, 2 cloves of garlic (smashed), 1/2 cup of raw honey and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. After 2 days I will use a regular mix of 1 gallon water and 1 tablespoon ACV.

This is our first mix and we will be supplementing this recipe and their diets with fruits, vegetables, compost, microgreens, marigolds, herbs, meats, fish and insects, eggs, etc. We are open to all opinions, discussion, suggestions, tips and knowledge. We will be updating this post as we adjust our food and ratios and tracking our chicks progress.
A couple of things, What "fillers" are you referring to that are in poultry feed?
Most municipal water now uses Chloramine not Choline. You will have to boil 10 gallons of water for at least an hour to completely remove 1 mg/L.
You have Cracked Corn at 33.5% and Black Oil Sunflower Seeds at 33.5%, are these numbers percents of protein or percentage of total amount per picture?

A couple of things, What "fillers" are you referring to that are in poultry feed?
Most municipal water now uses Chloramine not Choline. You will have to boil 10 gallons of water for at least an hour to completely remove 1 mg/L.
You have Cracked Corn at 33.5% and Black Oil Sunflower Seeds at 33.5%, are these numbers percents of protein or percentage of total amount per picture?
I am steering away from bagged feed because it's hard to find soy free brands that I like and can afford realistically. I also don't like the processed pellet form. It's not a natural food form and companies have added ingredients to make a pellet more desirable over quality of the actual feed for the chickens. They are in it for money, not our chickens true needs. Thats just my opinion. For the cracked corn and the sunflower seeds..they are the grain source I chose to use. Chicks need 62-72% grains so I went with the median of 67% and split it to get my 33.5% values. I've went crazy looking up all the essential amino acids and vitamins baby chicks need and I feel I'm giving them a great start. All my feed ingredients contain so much of what they need. I can't say what I'm doing is perfect yet but, I just wanted to share my chicken feed journey and hopefully help out anyone who is interested in my approach.

I also don't like the processed pellet form. It's not a natural food form and companies have added ingredients to make a pellet more desirable over quality of the actual feed for the chickens.
You do understand that when it comes to chickens there is NO natural form, chickens are a "man made" animal and there is no such thing as a wild chicken. A pelleted, crumble and mash keeps chickens pecking out and only eating what they want.
I've went crazy looking up all the essential amino acids and vitamins baby chicks need and I feel I'm giving them a great start. All my feed ingredients contain so much of what they need.
Just looking at your ingredients, I believe that you're not going to meet the Methionine needs of your chickens and that their vitamin and mineral needs aren't going to get met.
Also, chicken eat not because their hunger but to meet a caloric need, so a poultry feed needs to be balanced.

You do understand that when it comes to chickens there is NO natural form, chickens are a "man made" animal and there is no such thing as a wild chicken. A pelleted, crumble and mash keeps chickens pecking out and only eating what they want.

Just looking at your ingredients, I believe that you're not going to meet the Methionine needs of your chickens and that their vitamin and mineral needs aren't going to get met.
Also, chicken eat not because their hunger but to meet a caloric need, so a poultry feed needs to be balanced.
I understand chickens aren't natural at this point. I'm not trying to raise natural chickens, I'm just raising chickens on a diet I'm comfortable with. I mentioned the pellet isn't a natural food form like seeds and grains and leafy vegetables that they would encounter in my yard as they grow up. Also with the way supply and demand, shortages and everything else going on currently, if feed becomes difficult to get I am growing everything my chickens need in my gardens and I feel they would adapt better off my food plan. If I'm already growing for my family, I can grow for my livestock. I know everything my chickens are consuming (besides foraging naturally). I know methionine is in kale, BOSS, flaxseed and broccoli so I can't see how I'm not meeting that amino acid requirement for them. I didn't mention flax in my feed recipe but, I started them on it last night. So far, the chicks have been eating everything I put out for them. The only thing they leave out is any bigger shell hulls from the BOSS that they can't eat.

Last edited:
I understand chickens aren't natural at this point. I'm not trying to raise natural chickens, I'm just raising chickens on a diet I'm comfortable with. I mentioned the pellet isn't a natural food form like seeds and grains and leafy vegetables that they would encounter in my yard as they grow up. Also with the way supply and demand, shortages and everything else going on currently, if feed becomes difficult to get I am growing everything my chickens need in my gardens and I feel they would adapt better off my food plan. If I'm already growing for my family, I can grow for my livestock. I know everything my chickens are consuming (besides foraging naturally). I know methionine is in kale, BOSS, flaxseed and broccoli so I can't see how I'm not meeting that amino acid requirement for them. I didn't mention flax in my feed recipe but, I started them on it last night. So far, the chicks have been eating everything I put out for them. The only thing they leave out is any bigger shell hulls from the BOSS that they can't eat.
There is .03g of Methionine per 100 gram of Kale
38mg of Methionine per 100 gram Broccoli
As for BOSS, since it is a oil seed used for it's oil and is about 16% protein (per 100 lbs) and if I remember correctly the Methionine is low, and lower than Striped Sunflower Seed and Sunflower Seed Meal.

Now keep in mind that studies have shown that feeding flaxseed over a long period of time can lower chicken weight, chickens tend to eat less, hens have over all smaller eggs with less yolk, and chicken had liver hemorrhages.

As for BOSS, since it is a oil seed used for it's oil and is about 16% protein (per 100 lbs) and if I remember correctly the Methionine is low, and lower than Striped Sunflower Seed and Sunflower Seed Meal.

Now keep in mind that studies have shown that feeding flaxseed over a long period of time can lower chicken weight, chickens tend to eat less, hens have over all smaller eggs with less yolk, and chicken had liver hemorrhages.
I plan to give the flax seed in small quantities and only every now and then. It's not added as a regular part of my grain mix. What feed are you using and how much methionine is in it? Also many feed companies use synthetic amino acids, including organic brands. I understand it's a controversial topic in the poultry world.

you might want to update your reading on some of the links in a thread I started
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-research-debunks-trad-views-on-nutrition.1567953/

ditto my previous reply

I plan to give the flax seed in small quantities and only every now and then. It's not added as a regular part of my grain mix. What feed are you using and how much methionine is in it? Also many feed companies use synthetic amino acids, including organic brands. I understand it's a controversial topic in the poultry world.
I feed Kalmbach feed, from 0 to 6 weeks of age they get a 28% Non-GMO starter feed that has .60% Methionine, from 6 weeks to first egg they get a 20% Non- GMO feed that has .55% Methionine, once hens are laying, they get a mix of the 28% starter and 5 grain soy free scratch grain.

Back
Top Bottom