Soft Egg Shells in Pullet

karenmragan

Songster
Jul 12, 2019
Grand Junction, CO
Hello, thanks to anyone who may help me figure this out. The issue is with a 5-month-old Austra White pullet. I have caught her several times lay a very soft-shelled egg in the middle of the coop floor; which promptly gets eaten. This has happened in the morning and in the evening.
She is on a diet of 18% starter mash with free-choice oyster shell, along with 1/4 acre of green pasture to forage. This is the only hen in the flock who seems to be experiencing the issue. I should note also that most of her eggs are normal, but this has become too much of a problem to ignore.

I know some people might think this is too much trouble, but since I have been doing this I have had no more soft shells. I would mix up their feed with a cucumber, grape tomatoes, cabbage and sometimes unsalted corn from a can. Also I would cook eggs and put the shells in the microwave for a couple of minutes, them use my ninja to crush them to a pulp. I would do this to each ingredient, then mix it together. I give them a few big spoonfuls and put the rest in the frig and give it to them once a day til it's gone. They love it. I also put grit in the mix to but only after everything is well mixed. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom