Some questions about my new pigeons

RoostersAreAwesome

Enabler
6 Years
May 21, 2017
I got a pair of ruby rollers a week ago. This is my first time owning pigeons. I'm planning to give them supervised flying time once they're settled in their pen.
For some reason, they only eat the small seeds in the pigeon feed I got them. I'm pretty sure it's the same feed that they were fed at the place I bought them from.
This is the feed
P_20200105_165934_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20200105_165922_vHDR_Auto.jpg

This is the part they don't eat
P_20200105_165858_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Also, what colors are my pair?
Female, 5 months old. Red grizzle?
Screenshot_20200110-123537.jpg

Male, lavender?
Screenshot_20200110-123641.jpg

Additionally, what colors would this pair produce?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Not sure on the colors but they are beautiful.
Do you feed them enough for them to eat in a sitting or do you leave the food in always? While the latter is very convenient I find that given the choice they can be very picky birds. If I gave mine the choice they'd only eat the corn and peas. Try feeding them once or twice a day as much as they'll eat in 10 minutes or so. They'll learn to eat the whole mix.

Not sure on the colors but they are beautiful.
Do you feed them enough for them to eat in a sitting or do you leave the food in always? While the latter is very convenient I find that given the choice they can be very picky birds. If I gave mine the choice they'd only eat the corn and peas. Try feeding them once or twice a day as much as they'll eat in 10 minutes or so. They'll learn to eat the whole mix.
Thank you! The male reminds me of a splash colored chicken.
That makes sense. I was afraid the bigger pieces were too big for their beaks. I keep their feeders full. I'll do what you suggested from now on.

I got a pair of ruby rollers a week ago. This is my first time owning pigeons. I'm planning to give them supervised flying time once they're settled in their pen.
For some reason, they only eat the small seeds in the pigeon feed I got them. I'm pretty sure it's the same feed that they were fed at the place I bought them from.
This is the feed
View attachment 1999081
View attachment 1999083

This is the part they don't eat
View attachment 1999082

Also, what colors are my pair?
Female, 5 months old. Red grizzle?
View attachment 1999084

Male, lavender?
View attachment 1999085

Additionally, what colors would this pair produce?

Thanks in advance!
hello!

They may only be eating their favorite seeds of that are in their feed if the food is in the coop all day long. Feed the birds twice a day, as much as they can eat in 5 minutes it's each time. Don't put a pan where they can pick and choose their favorites for 5 minutes, have the food be finished off in 5 minutes.

never fly a bird you can't afford to lose. Every time you fly your birds, you risk losing them. I would not fly your birds till they have bred up a small flock for you, so that when you fly if you lose one, it's not a big deal. If you lose one bird, you lose a pair.

the hen appears to be a red check, perhaps a mottled\grizzled red.

the male is a red ash spread. One of my favorite colors in pigeons.

They will likely produce silvers, like this bird. (the light colored one)
IMG_20190718_114049.jpg

This is simply a guess. Your hold have to know their heritage to know for sure.
IMG_20190718_114049.jpg

Wow! You have pigeons? That’s so cool!
I’m not very knowledgeable on pigeons, but I’d say you’re right about the male being lavender, aka ash red spread.
I couldn’t tell you what the female is.
yes, you are correct. do you own pigeons?

hello!

They may only be eating their favorite seeds of that are in their feed if the food is in the coop all day long. Feed the birds twice a day, as much as they can eat in 5 minutes it's each time. Don't put a pan where they can pick and choose their favorites for 5 minutes, have the food be finished off in 5 minutes.

never fly a bird you can't afford to lose. Every time you fly your birds, you risk losing them. I would not fly your birds till they have bred up a small flock for you, so that when you fly if you lose one, it's not a big deal. If you lose one bird, you lose a pair.

They will likely produce silvers, like this bird. (the light colored one)View attachment 1999232

This is simply a guess. Your hold have to know their heritage to know for sure.View attachment 1999232

No, but I study their genetics to improve my knowledge. I was surprised to see Roosters had some.
I’m glad to see my suspicions about the hen were correct, as well as the male. Thank you!

Wow! You have pigeons? That’s so cool!
I’m not very knowledgeable on pigeons, but I’d say you’re right about the male being lavender, aka ash red spread.
I couldn’t tell you what the female is.
Yeah, a friend convinced me to get them after what happened to my roosters. I think they're pretty cool so far, even if they don't like being held that much. :lol:
Thanks!

hello!

They will likely produce silvers, like this bird. (the light colored one)View attachment 1999232

This is simply a guess. Your hold have to know their heritage to know for sure.View attachment 1999232

Even short supervised flying? I was planning to teach them to return when I called them so I could let them out for a short time.
Thanks for telling me. Silvers look beautiful. If she's grizzled, will that pass on to their offspring?

Back
Top Bottom