Sour crop and monistat - any tips for feeding it?

akitafriendakita

Chirping
Jul 12, 2023
I have a sick 8-week old chick who seems to clearly have sour crop (brown liquid is coming out of his beak sometimes/spitting up brown liquid.)

I have isolated the chick, gave it apple cider vinegar mixed with water. I have been routinely massaging the chick, which he's fine with. His energy is okay (he's still walking around and standing, just puffed up and seems to feel ill right now.) I want to start applying monistat to the chick because the crop seems more infected rather than impacted.

Wondering how to go about this - right now the crop is full of liquid, squishy, and swollen. The infection has been going on for less than 24 hours so it shouldn't have progressed too far yet. Should I attempt to drain the liquid out of its crop before applying monistat? Can I flush the crop at home somehow or maybe just draining it would be good? I've heard the monistat won't work as well if the crop is totally full of liquid and the monistat is just floating around rather than getting on the walls of the crop.

Maybe I could feed it some monistat and then just massage the crop to spread it around? Might be less stressful for the chick because then I don't have to drain the liquid and he doesn't mind crop massages.

I just had a 8 week old BLRW rooster i just gave fungistat too, so i did it oral with a syringe i did 4ml twice a day and he seems to be ok now going on day 3. the directions on the fungistat is 1/4 teaspoon per 0.7 fl oz (20ml) of water. on the mixture, and on the dose is 1ml of mixture to 0.22lb (100g) of body weight.. twice a day. good luck, ive heard of ACV working too. I dont think flushing it will work your gonna half to use Nystain (fungistat)..

I just had a 8 week old BLRW rooster i just gave fungistat too, so i did it oral with a syringe i did 4ml twice a day and he seems to be ok now going on day 3. the directions on the fungistat is 1/4 teaspoon per 0.7 fl oz (20ml) of water. on the mixture, and on the dose is 1ml of mixture to 0.22lb (100g) of body weight.. twice a day. good luck, ive heard of ACV working too. I dont think flushing it will work your gonna half to use Nystain (fungistat)..
Thank you!! This is a good idea, I'm going to dilute it a little with water (so it spreads more easily in the crop) and feed it through a syringe. I went with monistat 2% because I read it's quite powerful and if the infection is fungal then it will kill it quite quickly (and monistat is widely available.) It's pretty non-toxic too and likely hard to overdose the chick, but I'll make sure not to give too much. He only needs a little to just go through his crop.

Google directions for monistat application if anyone here is using monistat for sour crop: "Mix 1teaspoon of cream with one teaspoon water and give 1 cc orally twice daily until the crop is emptying normally" I wouldn't give him the whole syringe because that's a lot for a chick and you don't want to overexpand his crop, but just a bit until the chick is sick of it.

I have a sick 8-week old chick who seems to clearly have sour crop (brown liquid is coming out of his beak sometimes/spitting up brown liquid.)

I have isolated the chick, gave it apple cider vinegar mixed with water. I have been routinely massaging the chick, which he's fine with. His energy is okay (he's still walking around and standing, just puffed up and seems to feel ill right now.) I want to start applying monistat to the chick because the crop seems more infected rather than impacted.

Wondering how to go about this - right now the crop is full of liquid, squishy, and swollen. The infection has been going on for less than 24 hours so it shouldn't have progressed too far yet.
Photos of the chick and his poop?

Is he in a brooder with light on 24/7 or is there a normal sleep/wake cycle?

If a normal sleep/wake cycle, check his crop first thing in the morning to see if it's emptied.

To give Monistat cream, you can draw it up into a syringe and give it orally.

Have you treated the chick for Coccidiosis or dewormed? At 8 weeks, that's pretty young to be having crop problems. What do you feed including treats and do you provide grit (crushed granite)?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Photos of the chick and his poop?

Is he in a brooder with light on 24/7 or is there a normal sleep/wake cycle?

If a normal sleep/wake cycle, check his crop first thing in the morning to see if it's emptied.

To give Monistat cream, you can draw it up into a syringe and give it orally.

Have you treated the chick for Coccidiosis or dewormed? At 8 weeks, that's pretty young to be having crop problems. What do you feed including treats and do you provide grit (crushed granite)?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
He was in a box all night with a heating plate, in the dark - so unlikely that he was drinking. His crop is still full of liquid this morning. He is a little more active today if that's a good sign, yesterday he basically slept all day but now he gets up rarely and moves a little (then goes back to sleep.)

He has had grit access many times, mostly because I do take my chicks outside and they have access to whatever is outside so they needed the grit. He also has grit constantly right now if he does choose to eat it. This all started happening after a trip outside two days ago so I assume he ate something bad or just hard to digest. These chicks have had mealworms/egg yolk before (after having grit multiple times first,) if that could be the cause, but they've also had mealworms many times and no one else had issues with them. I am connecting it to something the chick ate outside because they've only been outside a few times and then suddenly it happened [about 12-16 hours later] after its last time visit outside.

Poop is brown (I wiped it off its butt earlier and got a good look at color,) but the chick has diarrhea. Also not pooping much from what I can see, I only saw the chick poop twice yesterday (starting from noon when I noticed the sour crop.)

I was thinking about feeding yogurt and garlic today because the chick should be getting hungry soon and it has been without food for nearly 24 hours. I can't tell if it's actually digesting anything though because the crop has never gone down yet and the chick is hardly pooping.

I'll try to catch a picture of his poop if he ever does poop. Here is how he's doing now:

You can see that he's weak, although he is moving around a little now and attempting to weakly groom himself (he wasn't doing this yesterday, just sleeping.)

signal-2024-05-05-070153_002.jpeg

UPDATE: I gave the crop a firm push just to see what was going on and a lot of air came out. It's a lot flatter now and seems almost empty (still feels like there's a little mush in it,) I think I will give it yogurt around lunch time and see how it goes. Chick is still mostly sleeping. I am giving the chick crop massages once per hour in case of something being impacted, also coconut oil and monistat as suggested.

LAST UPDATE: Unfortunately, this chick ended up passing away today about 30ish hours after the issue was noticed. I believe it was some kind of significant blockage because it was just impossible to get his crop down no matter how many massages I did/treatments attempted, he stopped pooping for about a full day and died. Thanks to everyone who attempted to help!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom