Spitzhaubens

The BYC critter Halloweencostume contest this year includes all animals, not just chickens. 🎃
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bycs-2022-spooktacular-halloween-hatch-along-—critter-halloween-costume-contest.1551095/
Margarita Poofcrest dressed up for her photo shoot today. 7267D7F2-38BE-4E7D-B6E0-E2714C40AE75.jpeg

Last edited:
My sister picked up a couple of Chamois Appenzeller Spitzhauben chicks this week. I’m not familiar much with the breed but wondering if any of you can offer some guesses as to sex. They are 9 weeks and a few days in these pictures. The bigger one has a neater crest, the smaller one has less tidy hair.
9 weeks? I'm leaning towards a pair. The one with the pointer crest has some red wattles dropping down farther than the other. Spitzies are trickier to sex. Repost another set of pictures in two weeks to make sure.

9 weeks? I'm leaning towards a pair. The one with the pointer crest has some red wattles dropping down farther than the other. Spitzies are trickier to sex. Repost another set of pictures in two weeks to make sure.
I have a couple of Sultans, and the female’s hairdos are more tame and rounded compared to the male’s. It looks like that’s also the case for Spitz’s. When would you expect to see a noticeable difference in head feathers? Also, are chamois colored birds usually this light? I’m just trying to decide if the person my sister got these two birds from was working with decent quality breeding stock.

I have a couple of Sultans, and the female’s hairdos are more tame and rounded compared to the male’s. It looks like that’s also the case for Spitz’s. When would you expect to see a noticeable difference in head feathers? Also, are chamois colored birds usually this light? I’m just trying to decide if the person my sister got these two birds from was working with decent quality breeding stock.
I think they should be spiky and that at this age, you wouldn’t tell by their crests. @Alaskan has chamois, maybe could post some new pics?

Last edited:
At times you can guess with the crest... with the male having a more sparse, more compact crest.

But in general, i don't try to guess sex until they are pretty old.

As to darkness/lightness of Chamois. It is all over the place! The background color has a bunch of modifiers, so a flock can be all over the place as to how dark they are.

i will post some photos.
I think they should be spiky and that at this age, you wouldn’t tell by their crests. @Alaskan has chamois, maybe could post some new pics?
Thanks for the heads up... I have been traveling, so would have missed it otherwise

Here is a light-ish Chamois Spitz. Maybe 2 or so months old.
20220704_135527.jpg

Dark Chamois Spitz, but female with a small crest.
20220516_112713.jpg

Another Chamois female with a small crest.
20221029_192737.jpg

Lighter female Chamois with a fluffier crest.
20220516_103416.jpg

Here is a group shot of some Spitz of various shades of Chamois with one male golden spangled. The front center female Chamois that is almost white is Chamois, just VERY light. Girl to the front right is nice and dark. The female back and left is a lighter, but still good shade. The female back left is very light, but not as bad as the one in the front.
20220519_205715.jpg

spitz 4.jpg
spitz 3.jpg
spitz 2.jpg
spitz 1.jpg

Got a chance to visit @homeschoolin momma yesterday. I love her Spitzies. Isn't this boy handsome?! He tried to surprise me, so needs to learn some manners. In return he got picked up for some cuddles.

Meanwhile I have 2 house chickens here. My silkie hatched a Spitz chick around Aug 31. Things seemed fine until last week when I saw the sweet baby with her side split open. I could literally see her insides. I cleaned her up and applied Blue Kote..... wait & see. I wasn't very hopeful when she couldn't walk, stand or eat on her own last Sunday. Poor thing kept faceplanting every time she moved. I put her mama in with her for comfort and the chick is slowly recovering. She was eating by Monday, able to stand by Tuesday, and awkwardly walking by Thurs. One week later and I'm more optimistic. If I can keep infection away, she can make it.

I think the chick is a "she"
spitz chick 1.jpg

View attachment 3306499View attachment 3306504View attachment 3306502View attachment 3306501
Got a chance to visit @homeschoolin momma yesterday. I love her Spitzies. Isn't this boy handsome?! He tried to surprise me, so needs to learn some manners. In return he got picked up for some cuddles.

Meanwhile I have 2 house chickens here. My silkie hatched a Spitz chick around Aug 31. Things seemed fine until last week when I saw the sweet baby with her side split open. I could literally see her insides. I cleaned her up and applied Blue Kote..... wait & see. I wasn't very hopeful when she couldn't walk, stand or eat on her own last Sunday. Poor thing kept faceplanting every time she moved. I put her mama in with her for comfort and the chick is slowly recovering. She was eating by Monday, able to stand by Tuesday, and awkwardly walking by Thurs. One week later and I'm more optimistic. If I can keep infection away, she can make it.

I think the chick is a "she"
View attachment 3306533
Poor thing, I hope she recovers!

Back
Top Bottom