Starlight Green Egger gender?

Coop-de-doop

Songster
Mar 14, 2023
I have either a Starlkght Green Egger, or a Prairie Bluebell. They were all in the same bin. I’ve had birds in the past that had really red wattles and combs, that turned out to be hens. But the blotchy coloring on this one makes me wonder if it’s a cockerel. Anyone have experience with the starlight green or bluebell? Can you tell me which one this is, and if it’s a male?

Attachments

• C0BF1436-8842-4622-BEE5-294134F083FF.jpeg
    C0BF1436-8842-4622-BEE5-294134F083FF.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 92B092C0-1613-494F-955B-854C58AD1DB7.jpeg
    92B092C0-1613-494F-955B-854C58AD1DB7.jpeg
    356.5 KB · Views: 145
I have either a Starlkght Green Egger, or a Prairie Bluebell. They were all in the same bin. I’ve had birds in the past that had really red wattles and combs, that turned out to be hens. But the blotchy coloring on this one makes me wonder if it’s a cockerel. Anyone have experience with the starlight green or bluebell? Can you tell me which one this is, and if it’s a male?
Hm, I have owned starlights for a few years now and neither of the chicks seem to resemble them. Although I could be wrong, they typically closely resemble RIR’s a bit, but with a slimmer body and more white on the back end. I’ve never seen another with those colors.

As for a bluebell, I do own bluebells myself as well, but this is only my first year with them, and they are also still just chicks. I am not very experienced in their growth, so I am pretty much on the same terms as you.

Hm, I have owned starlights for a few years now and neither of the chicks seem to resemble them. Although I could be wrong, they typically closely resemble RIR’s a bit, but with a slimmer body and more white on the back end. I’ve never seen another with those colors.

As for a bluebell, I do own bluebells myself as well, but this is only my first year with them, and they are also still just chicks. I am not very experienced in their growth, so I am pretty much on the same terms as you.
The black chick just photo bombed 🤣 She’s supposed to be a prairie bluebell. This other one has a comb like my starlight green Egger, but I just don’t know for sure what he/she is.

The black chick just photo bombed 🤣 She’s supposed to be a prairie bluebell. This other one has a comb like my starlight green Egger, but I just don’t know for sure what he/she is.
Hm, not sure then… I still don’t know if it’s actually a starlight GE, but I can’t make any other assumptions outside of color… I would wait until he/she is older, since sexing chicks is always tricky

How old is the chick?

I've had both PBB and SGE, and your partridge one looks like a SGE to me - I had one SGE with partridge type coloration and two with basically red sex-link coloration. My partridge one turned out to lay tan eggs instead of green, but one large tan egg a day was good for me, and it was a pretty tan color.

Not sure if it's a cockerel or not - I like that the comb is still yellow/pinkish instead of vibrant pink, but it does look quite large. My SGEs went through a phase where I thought they were male because their combs were large compared to their bodies, so I think odds are still good you have a female. I'm looking for male specific melanized red over the wing bows and not seeing it, so that's a positive.

PBB always have a pea comb/modified pea comb. Your chick is not a PBB.

How old is the chick?

I've had both PBB and SGE, and your partridge one looks like a SGE to me - I had one SGE with partridge type coloration and two with basically red sex-link coloration. My partridge one turned out to lay tan eggs instead of green, but one large tan egg a day was good for me, and it was a pretty tan color.

Not sure if it's a cockerel or not - I like that the comb is still yellow/pinkish instead of vibrant pink, but it does look quite large. My SGEs went through a phase where I thought they were male because their combs were large compared to their bodies, so I think odds are still good you have a female. I'm looking for male specific melanized red over the wing bows and not seeing it, so that's a positive.

PBB always have a pea comb/modified pea comb. Your chick is not a PBB.
Thank you! This chick is almost 6 weeks old. I was hoping for a colored egg, but it’s okay if it’s tan too. An egg would be much better than having a fourth rooster 🤣 But I’ll keep it regardless. The black one is supposed to be PBB, it does have the pea comb, so that’s reassuring. Maybe they will both be pullets! Look at my SGE wattles… goofy bird

Attachments

• E1C390DD-8612-41AA-9C9A-9BE357C5E426.jpeg
    E1C390DD-8612-41AA-9C9A-9BE357C5E426.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 127
Thank you! This chick is almost 6 weeks old. I was hoping for a colored egg, but it’s okay if it’s tan too. An egg would be much better than having a fourth rooster 🤣 But I’ll keep it regardless. The black one is supposed to be PBB, it does have the pea comb, so that’s reassuring. Maybe they will both be pullets! Look at my SGE wattles… goofy bird
Cute!!!

A number of other folks on here have had partridge type SGEs that laid green, so I'd say odds are good yours will too. I'm about 75% sure it's female. As it gets older, if the comb stays the same size and pale while the body grows, it will become more obvious.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom