Starlight Green Egger gender?

Cute!!!

A number of other folks on here have had partridge type SGEs that laid green, so I'd say odds are good yours will too. I'm about 75% sure it's female. As it gets older, if the comb stays the same size and pale while the body grows, it will become more obvious.

Enjoy!
Yay!!!

How old is the chick?

I've had both PBB and SGE, and your partridge one looks like a SGE to me - I had one SGE with partridge type coloration and two with basically red sex-link coloration. My partridge one turned out to lay tan eggs instead of green, but one large tan egg a day was good for me, and it was a pretty tan color.

Not sure if it's a cockerel or not - I like that the comb is still yellow/pinkish instead of vibrant pink, but it does look quite large. My SGEs went through a phase where I thought they were male because their combs were large compared to their bodies, so I think odds are still good you have a female. I'm looking for male specific melanized red over the wing bows and not seeing it, so that's a positive.

PBB always have a pea comb/modified pea comb. Your chick is not a PBB.
842EA817-1B94-47D7-BB2C-28E2F52F703D.jpeg

Is this the red wing barring you were talking about? She/he is about 7 weeks now.
Nope, that still looks like a female to me. I have a rooster that shows this very clearly, but no pics on my computer. I've been looking to see pics on this site, but a really clear example is hard to find. If you look through the What Breed or Gender is This Forum and search for "red wing bows" and also "male specific trait" you may start to get an idea what it's about. Overo Marie has posted a number of times about this. It's often a melanistic red color, which I don't see on your bird. Also, at 7 wks, half her comb is still pale. For a cockerel, it would be fully pink by now and probably bigger.

Nope, that still looks like a female to me. I have a rooster that shows this very clearly, but no pics on my computer. I've been looking to see pics on this site, but a really clear example is hard to find. If you look through the What Breed or Gender is This Forum and search for "red wing bows" and also "male specific trait" you may start to get an idea what it's about. Overo Marie has posted a number of times about this. It's often a melanistic red color, which I don't see on your bird. Also, at 7 wks, half her comb is still pale. For a cockerel, it would be fully pink by now and probably bigger.
Wow! You know so much! I’m thankful for the information!! Thanks for taking time to reply

Update! My partridge starlight green egger is in fact a hen. She has larger comb and wattles than some of my roosters… and she lays a BROWN egg 😒 But she is absolutely gorgeous!

Attachments

• IMG_4029.jpeg
    IMG_4029.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
Update! My partridge starlight green egger is in fact a hen. She has larger comb and wattles than some of my roosters… and she lays a BROWN egg 😒 But she is absolutely gorgeous!
I got three SGEs, two that were colored very similar to red sex-links and one that was partridge color, similar to yours. My partridge SGE laid tan. Others have had good luck with them laying green but not me. However, she lays a medium-large tan egg every single day! Hard to argue with that.

Glad she's a hen! Enjoy those eggs!

She lays a beautiful, darker colored brown. It’s crazy, because her earlobes are neon green, and everyone says if they’re ears are green, they will lay green… not true 😂 With them being so green, I couldn’t wait to see what color she would lay. I saw her on the nest, and got so excited! When she finally got up, it was dark brown 🤷🏻‍♀️😂

Attachments

• 70847030928__94FD13CD-9999-4EF7-A92F-8235CBB8B7AD.jpeg
    70847030928__94FD13CD-9999-4EF7-A92F-8235CBB8B7AD.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 23
She lays a beautiful, darker colored brown. It’s crazy, because her earlobes are neon green, and everyone says if they’re ears are green, they will lay green… not true 😂 With them being so green, I couldn’t wait to see what color she would lay. I saw her on the nest, and got so excited! When she finally got up, it was dark brown 🤷🏻‍♀️😂
What a large, beautiful brown! Love it!

Yea, the ear lobe thing only works for white or brown layer breeds. When you throw the blue egg gene in there, who knows what you'll get...

Back
Top Bottom