Stripe on a Buckeye chick. Down question.

Sparklee, you are tracking the stripped Buckeye chick to see how, if any, it differentiates itself as an adult in plumage? I am interested in hearing about others experiences with Buckeye chick down color/ markings and adult plumage. I don't want to be dismissive that there is no correlation with chick down and adult plumage (as I stated, others have reported a correlation with Buckeye chick down and corresponding adult plumage), but just that I have not noticed one so far. I simply need more experience in marking my chicks as light or dark, etc. and raising them to adulthood. Most of my effort in marking chicks has to do with their parentage and not their down color or markings. I do notice that through the half dozen plus sets of juvenile feathers they put on after their down, almost every Buckeye chick has the noticeably slate bar in the back. I've found that this does not always translate to a good bar on the adult bird. (reminds me of the ol' "phylogeny recapitulates ontogeny" phrase).

Sparklee: So, when folks cross the RIR into their Buckeyes trying to ... whatever ... which is dominant with the whole Co/Columbian Red/ColumbianDerivative? Based on what you know or understand. In addition, are a lot of Buckeye lines then all over the place with their Co status? Based on what you know or understand. In addition, are a lot of Buckeye lines then all over the place with their Co status? Even just throwing some Db (is it still called Db?) into a Buckeye (if the RIR had it) is a complication I'd rather not have to stare down.

Good Buckeyes should have very little, if any RIR, in them and the good lines do not look in any way, shape or form like a RIR. As to color, today's RIRs are much darker than a Buckeye should be. Also, Buckeyes should have a red glow to their color and not, [comparatively], a dead brown to their color.

Tadkerson: Buckeye do have the columbian gene . . . The language cgmccary uses (Co/Columbian Red/ColumbianDerivative) is not congruent with the language used in research manuscripts.

All True. I agree with you. The "derivative" is a bad choice of wording & I apologize for using it. What I am trying to say is that for those of us who breed Buckeyes, we find that the Buckeye does not fit completely and neatly into either of the classical models (i.e. neither explains the Buckeye satisfactorily); the Buckeye shares genes & has genes with / and of both Columbian Red and Black tailed Red but with modifiers. i.e. The Buckeye is neither classic Columbian NOR classic Black-Tailed Red but has genes of both. This explains some of the many nuances incl the red coloring on the black tail feathers I referred to earlier and the slate bar in the back, neither which is explained by the classic Co or clasic Black tailed Red but both which are in the best lines of Buckeyes. You obviously know 100% more about genetics than I do & are an expert. I defer to you on genetics. I am just explaining what I have seen in my breeding which is characteristics of both but not all there in the classic sense. This is the only breed I keep and propagate. I have crossed mine with other breeds to see what turned up. I am not an genetics expert (I only minored in biology in undergrad) but just a hobbyist breeder, that's all. My birds have always won at the shows so I figure I must be doing something right in how I look at my birds, how I read the SOP & which ones I select. There is not one Master breeder of Buckeyes. Nobody knows all there is to know about this breed.​

Quote:
No. I had hoped one of the members of the Seculati, Maserati, Literati, or whatever the name of the Buckeye chicken breeders' secret society is would have already figured this out and shared the knowledge with the plebian masses.
wink.png
Please don't deny it because denial of a secret society is just further proof that it exists.

These are my first Buckeyes and I think I'll just enjoy them rather than tracking them. I guess I might feel compelled enough to eventually track chicks with a dark head stripe, but for this summer, I don't plan on it. Plastic band marking isn't reliable and is time consuming when you have to change the size every couple of weeks with chicks. As for wing bands, I'm not going to go to all the trouble of piercing chicks' wings until there are some decorative choices for the wing bands. You know, enameled or bedazzled or carved. Hopefully a celebrity chicken owner will deisign some soon.

Help me ... I've fallen and I can't get my tongue out of my cheek.
lau.gif
lau.gif

You've been quite helpful, Sir cgmccary. Thank you. Seriously.

Quote:
But if anyone could come close, it would be Duane Urch. Someday I'd love to buttonhole him and feed him dinner and get him to talk about Buckeyes while I have a tape recorder running. He's only been breeding them for, oh, the last 50 years or so.

wink.png

And p.s.

I got a couple of "blondie" chicks this year for the first time. I have marked them with food coloring in their down, and will band them so I can track them. Need to get some pics, but want to track how they feather out. I venture they'll wind up looking just like the rest of the hatch once they're grown.

Quote:
Last fall, when I found myself down to one pullet from a group iId ordered that February, I ordered 25 straight run Buckeye chicks from Ideal. They were quite a mixed bag; some light, some dark, some without body or head stripes, some with. One had a single comb (but feathered in with the correct slate bar, and another completely lacked a tail, but had the correct comb and also feathered in the correct color.

Actually, all of them feathered out a decent shade of mahogany, and at least 20 had the slate barring, though they were culled for other reasons. Common faults were too much black in back and hackles, some had white tipped feathers. All of those birds (the ones carrying excessive black, and the ones with the white tips) actually looked different as chicks; not by the color of the down, but the shape of their heads; big, blocky, squared, and a "crease" down the middle behind the comb, with prominent, overhanging brows. Most were cockerels, but the two pullets like that had the same strange, "Braniac" expression to them.

As they matured, there was some slight variation with the pullets not being an even shade (the head and neck appeared a shade darker, but you wouldn't confuse them with a "production red" or whatever. It's my understanding that uneven coloring can happen in any line, and you have to remember, these were a late September hatch of commercial hatchery stock, not show quality. I'm sure there would have been better birds had I ordered them to be shipped earlier in the year when the majority of the flock (i.e. the prettier hens) were still laying. In the end, I kept three pullets and one cockerel, thinking he would be a spare in case anything happened to a handsome male I bought at a show in December. (turns out, something did, so now #2 is #1 and just so happy about it he's become a dancing fool) When I hatch chicks from this group, (4 hatchery and one hen from show lines) I'll keep tabs on any variation in chick down color.

After I clear it with the Literati, I'll post the results. (I'm obviously a new member, so there could be some restrictions...)
wink.png

Buffalogal: . . . As they matured, there was some slight variation with the pullets not being an even shade (the head and neck appeared a shade darker, but you wouldn't confuse them with a "production red" or whatever. It's my understanding that uneven coloring can happen in any line, and you have to remember, these were a late September hatch of commercial hatchery stock, not show quality. . . .

Remember too, the Buckeye's creator, Nettie Metcalf, said herself that she bred the males for the rich mahogany bay color and got the females' color the best she could. Buckeyes are a cockerel-bred breed. Laura's perfectly colored pullet from a couple year's back (followed by JANET HATCH's pullet (from Laura's line)) are very rare. I breed my females for production, size of egg, good body type --​

Last edited:
I have two strains of Buckeyes: the first, obtained in 2009 from the Pisapias in Texas, has consistently produced chicks with a small dark streak on the head... some more than others. This strain also has a much deeper orange eye, at an earlier age, than the ALBC strain.

I will try and post my old photos.

As far as adult appearance, the plumage really does look pretty much the same.

Hey, how about egg color? I notice a lot of variability in my ALBC birds' eggs: a number of strikingly pale shells, and some others are remarkably speckled.

For those people who have raised pure Urch birds - from 2009 or prior years - how did they compare? (Chick down, egg color)

Last edited:
Quote:
Actually, it was Janet Hatch's pullet
big_smile.png

I have a photo of her on my BYC page.

Janet Hatch
J Squared Farms
NW MO

NPIP 43-727

Back
Top Bottom