Stumbling 4 month old buff orpington pullet

Mikokoke

Songster
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
Rio Verde Foothills
We ordered 2 dozen fertilized eggs from McMurray Hatchery to hatch in my daughter 2nd grade class. We successfully hatched 9. Out of those nine, we currently only have two that are still alive (2 were roosters). We lost our last pullet earlier this week and we have one that has always been a little lethargic. She looks like she can't keep her eyes open and she stumbles around. She looks pretty, except for her pale face and legs. She appears to fall asleep as she's standing. I've searched for answers and nothing concrete has come up: Not egg bound, crop appears to be ok. I can't say its because of the weather here in Phoenix, it's just the way she's been. When our last chick died, we were on vacation and our neighbor was caring for them. I thought it was the buff that had passed. Nope. It was the black americana (SP?) and that came as a complete surprise. I don't know what to think or do. Anyone have experience with this?

Out of those nine, we currently only have two that are still alive (2 were roosters). We lost our last pullet earlier this week and we have one that has always been a little lethargic. She looks like she can't keep her eyes open and she stumbles around. She looks pretty, except for her pale face and legs. She appears to fall asleep as she's standing.

Not egg bound, crop appears to be ok. I can't say its because of the weather here in Phoenix, it's just the way she's been.
Can you please post some photos of the bird and of the poop?

You mention you have 2 that are alive and both are roosters, but you have a 4 month old pullet that is sick? So you have 2 cockerels and a pullet or?

Crop appears o.k.? Have you checked to make sure it's empty in the morning before she eats/drinks?

Not egg bound? Has she been laying eggs at 4 months old?
What are you feeding her?
Stumbling around sounds neurological, but it could also be a number of other things too. Can you take some stool samples to your vet to check for Coccidiosis overload and worms?

I would try Vitamin E (400IU) and 1/4 tablet B-Complex to start with. Get her drinking well, then see if she will eat for you.
Look her over for lice/mites while you are tending to her.

Let us know how she's doing.

We ordered 2 dozen fertilized eggs from McMurray Hatchery to hatch in my daughter 2nd grade class. We successfully hatched 9. Out of those nine, we currently only have two that are still alive

I don't have experience hatching eggs, but losing 7 out of 9 chicks hatched seems like a very high loss rate. Have you raised chicks before or was this your first experience? I have raised day old chicks 3 times, and never had such a loss rate. I only lost about 2 chicks out of 60, and that was within the first 2 days. I'd recheck the basics such as heat, water and feed. Sorry for your past loss and hope this chick recovers.

And, I would call McMurray Hatchery and talk to them about your situation. This is their business and they are the experts. They have a good reputation and I am sure they would want to help you if they can. Good luck and keep us informed.

I don't have experience hatching eggs, but losing 7 out of 9 chicks hatched seems like a very high loss rate. Have you raised chicks before or was this your first experience? I have raised day old chicks 3 times, and never had such a loss rate. I only lost about 2 chicks out of 60, and that was within the first 2 days. I'd recheck the basics such as heat, water and feed. Sorry for your past loss and hope this chick recovers.

And, I would call McMurray Hatchery and talk to them about your situation. This is their business and they are the experts. They have a good reputation and I am sure they would want to help you if they can. Good luck and keep us informed.
This was my 4th hatch and I have never lost a chick before. Thank you for the advice. I will call them.

I would like to know if the hatchery was able to help you in anyway. Please update this thread if you can. Again, sorry for your loss.
I don't know if the hatchery would help? This was hatching eggs, so anything could go wrong...the latest "chick" that is now sick is 4 months old, how long is a hatchery supposed to be responsible?

I don't know if the hatchery would help? This was hatching eggs, so anything could go wrong...the latest "chick" that is now sick is 4 months old, how long is a hatchery supposed to be responsible?

I was trying to suggest that the hatchery might be willing to offer some help in terms of advice for an experienced customer that has had an unusual loss rate. I was not suggesting that the hatchery is responsible for a sick, 4 month old, chick. At least, I hope that is not what anyone thought.

I know that the hatchery will refund/replace loss of day old chicks within the first 2 days when I buy them at the local farm store. After that, it's my responsibility. If I had a high loss rate after that, I think I would contact the hatchery and ask them for advice. If they don't want to respond, I'd buy chicks from a different hatchery next year.

Also, the local farm stores keep track of how many losses they experience in the store and from customer feedback. I know at least one farm store that banned a hatchery for sending out poor quality chicks. The farm store makes lots of money on feed and supplies, none of which is required if the customers chicks die off. So the farm store wants good quality chicks for their customers, and I would think the hatchery does its best to send out quality stock. In any case, proper feedback helps everybody.

I was trying to suggest that the hatchery might be willing to offer some help in terms of advice for an experienced customer that has had an unusual loss rate. I was not suggesting that the hatchery is responsible for a sick, 4 month old, chick. At least, I hope that is not what anyone thought.

I know that the hatchery will refund/replace loss of day old chicks within the first 2 days when I buy them at the local farm store. After that, it's my responsibility. If I had a high loss rate after that, I think I would contact the hatchery and ask them for advice. If they don't want to respond, I'd buy chicks from a different hatchery next year.

Also, the local farm stores keep track of how many losses they experience in the store and from customer feedback. I know at least one farm store that banned a hatchery for sending out poor quality chicks. The farm store makes lots of money on feed and supplies, none of which is required if the customers chicks die off. So the farm store wants good quality chicks for their customers, and I would think the hatchery does its best to send out quality stock. In any case, proper feedback helps everybody.
Worth a shot.

Can you please post some photos of the bird and of the poop?

You mention you have 2 that are alive and both are roosters, but you have a 4 month old pullet that is sick? So you have 2 cockerels and a pullet or?

Crop appears o.k.? Have you checked to make sure it's empty in the morning before she eats/drinks?

Not egg bound? Has she been laying eggs at 4 months old?
What are you feeding her?
Stumbling around sounds neurological, but it could also be a number of other things too. Can you take some stool samples to your vet to check for Coccidiosis overload and worms?

I would try Vitamin E (400IU) and 1/4 tablet B-Complex to start with. Get her drinking well, then see if she will eat for you.
Look her over for lice/mites while you are tending to her.

Let us know how she's doing.
Does she have her feathers puffed up/ruffled and her shoulders hunched? Coccidiosis is always a possibility, especially at that age.

YES! She does and her tail is droopy.

Back
Top Bottom