Sudden egg issue

RebelFord81

Crowing
Aug 7, 2023
Windham, Ohio
I have never had a problem now all the sudden I've gotten 2 of these eggs in one week! They have access to oyster shell 24/7 their eggs otherwise are perfect and no one appears sick or abnormal!
20231019_152913.jpg
20231019_153003.jpg

How old are the birds laying these, if you know who it is? Did they just get over being broody, or are they molting?

I've had girls who had been laying for months (or a couple years) drop an egg from the roost that looked like this, and one laid one in the nest box. Keep an eye on her (them). If it keeps happening, then there could be a reason for worry.

I think of these as "yellow light" events. Caution, look for other indications, pay attention.

How old are the birds laying these, if you know who it is? Did they just get over being broody, or are they molting?

I've had girls who had been laying for months (or a couple years) drop an egg from the roost that looked like this, and one laid one in the nest box. Keep an eye on her (them). If it keeps happening, then there could be a reason for worry.

I think of these as "yellow light" events. Caution, look for other indications, pay attention.
I have no idea who it is. I have my one year old lavender Orpingtons who lay consistently and have never had an issue then I have 9 pullets who aren't laying yet

I had to move the oyster shell feeder to a spot next to the door to outside, rather than in a back corner of their coop. It made a difference one year, when one of the birds was producing very thin shelled eggs. Otherwise, might be a temporary thing, but do watch.
Mary
Their oyster shells are right next to their feed and water it's all kind of in one local spot I might add a second location just to have more access I guess I throw them shells once in a while too so I know they get enough

Back
Top Bottom