Summer Books! Ideas, favorites, and Recommendations?

Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Since it's summer, I have a lot more time on my hands! I love, love, love! being on BYC, but also want to spend time relaxing and not being online.
I want some book recommendations (I'll list some of my preferences below) but I also want this thread to be for anyone who wants ideas, or for anyone who loves to read and wants to share their favorites!
So, post your favorite book, podcast, or article below, and/or help me and others find some to read.

Some of my preferences:
I like fiction (although non-fiction is also great. I just have trouble focusing on, say, dictionaries and encyclopedias!)
I enjoy books that are not very violent. A little action is fun, but I want good, interesting, wholehearted books. Not a gory, swear-word-filled, bloody book.
I love books about animals. Especially horses, dogs, and chickens.
I don't like books that are romance-y or have lots of adult themes. Please and thank you.
I also like books that are inspiring stories of people with disabilities
I like funny (but clean!) books.

Here have been some of my favorite books:
My #1 favorite is Joey: How a Blind Rescue Horse Helped Others Learn to See.
I also loved the hilarious Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer and its sequel, Are You Ready to Hatch an Unusual Chicken?
Another great read was The Eighty-Dollar Champion
Another favorite was Distant Skies: An American Journey on Horseback
I've also loved all of the James Herriot Books
Another was the Keystone Stables Series
I love classics such as Where the Red Fern Grows and Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

There's probably hundreds of others I've loved and read too! These are just to give you ideas on my taste, and also recommendations for ones that I've enjoyed.

Rules:
NO SPOILERS!
Follow ALL BYC rules
Whatever else you want to do but are wondering if it's ok or not. It's probably not.

I love reading books too! Have you ever read the call of the wild?
I haven't read that! Just added it to my reading list!
A good one by the author of Where the Red Fern grows is Summer of the monkeys.
I also like The Scarlet Pimpernel but you might not.
I'll check out Summer of the Monkeys for sure!
I've read The Scarlet Pimpernel (by Baroness Orczy, right?)
It wasn't my favorite (I read it a while ago though) but it was alright. A little too romance-y for me, and had some words that were hard for me to understand, but it was a good read. Just took me a long time.

Since it's summer, I have a lot more time on my hands! I love, love, love! being on BYC, but also want to spend time relaxing and not being online.
I want some book recommendations (I'll list some of my preferences below) but I also want this thread to be for anyone who wants ideas, or for anyone who loves to read and wants to share their favorites!
So, post your favorite book, podcast, or article below, and/or help me and others find some to read.

Some of my preferences:
I like fiction (although non-fiction is also great. I just have trouble focusing on, say, dictionaries and encyclopedias!)
I enjoy books that are not very violent. A little action is fun, but I want good, interesting, wholehearted books. Not a gory, swear-word-filled, bloody book.
I love books about animals. Especially horses, dogs, and chickens.
I don't like books that are romance-y or have lots of adult themes. Please and thank you.
I also like books that are inspiring stories of people with disabilities
I like funny (but clean!) books.

Here have been some of my favorite books:
My #1 favorite is Joey: How a Blind Rescue Horse Helped Others Learn to See.
I also loved the hilarious Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer and its sequel, Are You Ready to Hatch an Unusual Chicken?
Another great read was The Eighty-Dollar Champion
Another favorite was Distant Skies: An American Journey on Horseback
I've also loved all of the James Herriot Books
Another was the Keystone Stables Series
I love classics such as Where the Red Fern Grows and Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

There's probably hundreds of others I've loved and read too! These are just to give you ideas on my taste, and also recommendations for ones that I've enjoyed.

Rules:
NO SPOILERS!
Follow ALL BYC rules
Whatever else you want to do but are wondering if it's ok or not. It's probably not.
I really like Terri Blackstock, but some of her books have romance. She is a Christian adult author, and I think her books are pretty safe for people ages 13 and up.
Edit: My sister @horsegirlabi recommends a book called Hope Rising by Kim Meeder.

I’ve got a few different suggestions for ones that you may or may not like.
Classics: (non romance and fairly easy)
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt (classic historical fiction about a boy growing up during the civil war)

A Wrinkle in Time (There’s hints at romance in this one but it’s far from the main focus)

The Chronicles of Narinia

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

YA Fiction:
The Giver Series by Lois Lowry ( It’s one of my favorites you may or may not like it)

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

The Book Thief

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes

Typically I like YA/dystopian novels like Divergent, Red Queen, etc, but I’m a sucker for animal rescue books 🥰 It sounds like you might enjoy Where the Blind Horse Sings and Animal Camp by Kathy Stevens. They author actually runs an animal sanctuary now, and the books follow some of her journey in creating the sanctuary, and the stories of some of the residents. Another one of my favorites is Animals Welcome by Peg Kehret, I’ve reread it several times and still enjoy it.

Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis is another one of my favorites.
The Giver series is actually pretty good, it’s a bit sad and has a bit of violence, but it’s not as bad as most YA fiction. Just a little disclaimer, the first book (in my opinion) actually isn’t as good as the other three 🙂
E8FAC90F-80D1-400C-B767-6E4FC977E4E7.jpeg
EF8C475C-2BED-4487-BEC4-DEF1A25C7508.jpeg

Typically I like YA/dystopian novels like Divergent, Red Queen, etc, but I’m a sucker for animal rescue books 🥰 It sounds like you might enjoy Where the Blind Horse Sings and Animal Camp by Kathy Stevens. They author actually runs an animal sanctuary now, and the books follow some of her journey in creating the sanctuary, and the stories of some of the residents. Another one of my favorites is Animals Welcome by Peg Kehret, I’ve reread it several times and still enjoy it.

Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis is another one of my favorites.
The Giver series is actually pretty good, it’s a bit sad and has a bit of violence, but it’s not as bad as most YA fiction. Just a little disclaimer, the first book (in my opinion) actually isn’t as good as the other three 🙂View attachment 3151164View attachment 3151163
I 2nd Kisses From Katie. It’s been a few years since I read it but I really enjoyed it.

Back
Top Bottom