Surviving Minnesota!

G'morning~ Silkies are just one of those odd breeds that is more like an angora rabbit, than a chicken. The hatchery stock is less likely to have the vaulted skulls and thus less problems. Its when you get into those super fluffy show birds that actually get the problems usually. For many years people thought in order to get those huge crests on them, they had to only breed from those abnormally large vaulted chicks. In fact, the genes that determine crest size are separate and you can get those huge crests on non-vaulted birds too. From my experience at least, those vaults cause nothing but problems from the start. The chicks have problems pipping and a lot of them can't get out of the shell. You see a lot go full term, but just never hatch. On juveniles under 4 months usually, you see a lot of cases of death or even wryneck from getting bonked on the head, pecked by another chick, etc. The cockerels aren't usually very gentle in their first mating efforts and this is the stage when they usually hurt those young pullets. Even last week I transferred the last of my babies out to the barn and not sure if I crowded them in boxes, but had 2 of them come out tucking their heads between their legs and I eventually culled them. On adults, the vaults often give the hens a tri-lobed mushroom shaped crest, instead of the nice round crest. On cocks, it will provide a nice backdrop for the crest and kind of hide bigger combs though. Still these birds are susceptible to a well placed peck or bonk to the head. I've had it happen in show birds on the way to shows if they jump up and hit their head in carrier or get too hot in there. If you have a low quality food, you will see vitamin deficiencies that can cause it too. Something as simple as storms and extreme swings in temp and barometric pressure can set them off. On the minor cases, I've seen people have luck treating with Vitamin E and selenium and/or prednisone. From what I've seen over the years though is those same birds will always resort back to the head bobble if stressed again.

An actual vaulted silkie skull:

Now this is a weird occurrence: Had a polish chick hatch about a month ago with no skin on the head. You really can see how there is no bone up there and brain is exposed. I've had a couple of these hatch like this over the years, just first time I grabbed pics.

Ugh! I have to give my Cochins a bath today! And my mom isn't home to help me!

I've done this quite a few times back when mom wanted to show her cochins... The big tubs were a pain to try and use. I couldn't get them fully rinsed.... I've found that just stripping down to the skivvies and taking them in the shower with me in old basement downstairs was easiest.

G'morning~ Silkies are just one of those odd breeds that is more like an angora rabbit, than a chicken. The hatchery stock is less likely to have the vaulted skulls and thus less problems. Its when you get into those super fluffy show birds that actually get the problems usually. For many years people thought in order to get those huge crests on them, they had to only breed from those abnormally large vaulted chicks. In fact, the genes that determine crest size are separate and you can get those huge crests on non-vaulted birds too. From my experience at least, those vaults cause nothing but problems from the start. The chicks have problems pipping and a lot of them can't get out of the shell. You see a lot go full term, but just never hatch. On juveniles under 4 months usually, you see a lot of cases of death or even wryneck from getting bonked on the head, pecked by another chick, etc. The cockerels aren't usually very gentle in their first mating efforts and this is the stage when they usually hurt those young pullets. Even last week I transferred the last of my babies out to the barn and not sure if I crowded them in boxes, but had 2 of them come out tucking their heads between their legs and I eventually culled them. On adults, the vaults often give the hens a tri-lobed mushroom shaped crest, instead of the nice round crest. On cocks, it will provide a nice backdrop for the crest and kind of hide bigger combs though. Still these birds are susceptible to a well placed peck or bonk to the head. I've had it happen in show birds on the way to shows if they jump up and hit their head in carrier or get too hot in there. If you have a low quality food, you will see vitamin deficiencies that can cause it too. Something as simple as storms and extreme swings in temp and barometric pressure can set them off. On the minor cases, I've seen people have luck treating with Vitamin E and selenium and/or prednisone. From what I've seen over the years though is those same birds will always resort back to the head bobble if stressed again.

An actual vaulted silkie skull:

Now this is a weird occurrence: Had a polish chick hatch about a month ago with no skin on the head. You really can see how there is no bone up there and brain is exposed. I've had a couple of these hatch like this over the years, just first time I grabbed pics.

That is amazing!!

But you have ruined my day now, I have learned my one thing for the day and am now destined to spend the day in ignorant bliss....

I've done this quite a few times back when mom wanted to show her cochins...  The big tubs were a pain to try and use.  I couldn't get them fully rinsed....  I've found that just stripping down to the skivvies and taking them in the shower with me in old basement downstairs was easiest.

That's what I've been thinking! From our house to the yard is a bit far to carry my cochins. I may just rinse them off

I'm finally catching up from last weekend. I took of work Saturday and Sunday...... We had major storms roll through Friday night so everything was a mess up here. Just to the north of us a tornado and hail leveled all the crops, lots of huge trees down. I got lucky in just branches and leaves everywhere. Most people here in town got up to 5" of rain in a very short time so streets and basements flooded too. I got home Friday night to quick clean up the yard and catch birds.... We had a small poultry swap in New Ulm Saturday morning and then we headed straight down to Waverly IA for one of the largest bird/animal swaps in upper Midwest. You have to get there by Saturday afternoon to get a parking spot pretty much. People go around all night with flashlights buying. We brought the fire pit and caught maybe an hour of sleep before the worst run of people started at 5am. IA doesn't have a lot of the same restrictions as we do up here and thus you get to see a lot of cool stuff: descented skunks, fox pups, fallow deer, goats, pigs, donkeys, mini horses, many puppies of various breeds, all the smaller exotic stuff, and of course birds everywhere. Saw one guy with trailers full of trapping equipment. Many vendors there with plants and vegetables. Talked to people from MI, WI, IL, SD, and of course IA. The MN people roped off sections for all of us so when we rolled in we could have our own lil neighborhood.

That is amazing!!

But you have ruined my day now, I have learned my one thing for the day and am now destined to spend the day in ignorant bliss....

Lol as I've said before... It makes for a constant demand for them if you are selling. Too many people have to learn the hard way and won't build them a separate coop. Free ranging them usually results in predators getting them. You always have a steady run of people to sell to that way....

Lol as I've said before... It makes for a constant demand for them if you are selling. Too many people have to learn the hard way and won't build them a separate coop. Free ranging them usually results in predators getting them. You always have a steady run of people to sell to that way....

I know what you mean, I have some CLB's girls that have huge crests. As you know I free range as much as I can. I even worry about these crested gals as the crests are big enough on some to block the view looking upwards. I am thinking of selling them and not breeding the ones with that large of a crest.. BUT they are so cute with them..

A few pics from Waverly. ...

Significant difference in Dixie today. I think she may recover from this. Small tic with her head that's it. Sort of not noticeable if you didn't know better. She is high functioning. Eats, drinks, protects the Littles. Her neck stays up. Just every once in a while she turn her head side to side. But that's even slight from yesterday.
DH is a softy. He wanted me to hold on the culling. He said an axe is a lot harder to cure than this. Usually his advice is taken with a grain of salt because this is 'my project' and I've been reminded of that fact over and over. But I'm glad things are progressing nicely for her. I have a suspicion of which hen whacked her. Dixie is skiddish of the big girls. I know why.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom