Surviving Minnesota!

Well, it was a busy past few days around our place. The first duckling clutch finally hatched and are already at their new homes. I should have two more clutches hatch in the next few weeks. I'll hold onto a few of those. My broody BCM also hatched a little chick. The egg was given to me to after an incubator mishap. I think it's a blue brahma....possibly partridge.

One of my BCM hens has gone missing. All 5 were accounted for Saturday. I think she's been laying elsewhere, so I hope she's broody on some eggs somewhere. We'll look more tonight. We didn't find any obvious predator signs anywhere - I like to keep a little hope because of that. Those are my favorite girls. At the end of the day, I'd rather see them outside running around free ranging than cooped up because I'm afraid to lose them. It's a tough balance that we all understand.

I have closed the Guinea Gulag. I am not the government, so I cannot have a large facility setting empty and serving no purpose.

I have renamed it "the triple R- SC. The RRRSC stands for the Ralfie's Rooster Rehabilitation and Soup Camp. I have loaded it with roosters, they are done free ranging, other than Sven, King George and Ray (the CLB rooster). And it goes without saying Andy is free to roam too.

Ray is only free because he jumped off the bus and ran, hiding in the woods until the bus had left the coop. As soon as I get my hands on him, he is headed to camp. I am not going to make him into soup, he would be tougher than shoe leather. I am thinking he could be the Camp Chaplin. He may have committed a crime I cannot let pass. Someone pulled a feather out of Andy's tail! That is a capital offense, Andy is my best show rooster. No one should mess with him. He is so mellow that he is the bottom of the pecking order. I wonder if some of that is my fault for treating him like a pet since he was born, kind of like the teacher pet getting a little lesson behind the scoreboard in the playground.

At this time it is exclusively a CLB camp. I am not sure enough on the others to send them there. I can imagine the holy H-e Double hockey sticks it would be for a hen I mistakenly sent in there. I have a couple PC roosters, I think, they will be going in as soon as they crow. I only have one PC I think is a pullet.

I did not send any Dominiques in there yet. They are just too small and I need to keep the best two for breeding.

MinnesotaNice my condolences on the ducklings hatch. I hope your missing BCM shows up. I am 99% sure Mr T will get to move here. I can already see the babies with a royal Palm hen or maybe a Holland white!

gig.gif
OMG Ralphie....Your chicken stories are the best. Laughing at Ray's Rooster Camp break for it.....

It is an amazing country, so much to see. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip and are back safely. Any losses? Whenever I leave, something dies in some bizarre accident.
I call out the same vocal pattern every time I feed, so it's no problem for me to lure them back if I'm holding a bucket and calling. I always have a little grain, so as not to create trust issues! LOL
No losses. I had the best chicken sitters ever. My nephews checked them every evening. (In exchange they needed to keep our 90 cc kid's 4 wheeler...you never now when their Mom's 4 wheeler might break down and they would have to walk the 1/4 mile to our house. My father in law checked (feed/cleaned) them every morning. I found the wrappings of meal worms, empty lettuce containers and a note that said we picked your strawberries and fed them to the chickens. This was in addition to the big 30 lb flock block I bought for a treat for them to set out one day. Needless to say....the flock block was barely touched. Spoiled CHICKENS!

MinnesotaNice my condolences on the ducklings hatch. I hope your missing BCM shows up. I am 99% sure Mr T will get to move here. I can already see the babies with a royal Palm hen or maybe a Holland white!

You didn't even think the picture was a little cute?

I think either match would be amazing! I'm especially curious to see the color pattern with a royal palm.

Do you buy Kuryakyn accessories? If so, we tend to buy a lot of our online through Dennis Kirk. The parts are more reasonably priced than dealerships. I've ordered from J&P cycles before as well. I bought my Cobra pipes on ebay last year about $150 cheaper than anywhere else. Brand new from Cobra, free shipping, and they also sent me the Jet kit I needed for my bike. I also find that if we go to dealerships, we think we need something else
thumbsup.gif
Hmmm..... just checked out the website. I was looking at mustache bars made by Kuryakyn but I didn't like the set up (it was all one piece and stuck out too far) so I was forced to go with the Harley brand because they make a 2 piece set they call whiskers..... they blend in a little more and don't stick out like a sore thumb. I didn't want the engine guard because I don't like how it takes away from the look of my bike. I'm looking at getting louder pipes and was checking out the Vance and Hines set at J&P but I will check the DK site first, maybe they will be cheaper
big_smile.png

Hmmm..... just checked out the website. I was looking at mustache bars made by Kuryakyn but I didn't like the set up (it was all one piece and stuck out too far) so I was forced to go with the Harley brand because they make a 2 piece set they call whiskers..... they blend in a little more and don't stick out like a sore thumb. I didn't want the engine guard because I don't like how it takes away from the look of my bike. I'm looking at getting louder pipes and was checking out the Vance and Hines set at J&P but I will check the DK site first, maybe they will be cheaper
big_smile.png

I like the look of the mustache bars. I ended up getting the Kuryakyn Swingwing Pegs because it worked better for my bike and short legs! But yeah, check it out. You might find a better deal.

So today I had a Volleyball camp from 9am-11am, my younger sister then had hers from 11:30am to 1:30am.

After she got done my mom had to finish a conference call for work then we rushed to the judging of non living projects and records. I did my eggs first, the judge gave my brown eggs a blue, my white a red I totally agree though since they did not look uniform shape, my 6 duck eggs got a blue, and the judge was VERY impressed with my other colored eggs, she complimented me on their uniform shape and color, I am hoping to get at least Superior exhibit with them.
fl.gif

Then I went to go do my poultry record book, like usual the person only knew stuff about swine, sheep, and goats. So I told them what breeds I have, what I feed, and some other things. He also told me that there are only 2 other kids showing poultry!!!!!
big_smile.png

The 2 other kids are cousins, they are in my 4H club, but they have hatchery birds, and I am assuming do not know much about poultry or how to show, they are very nice kids though.
My contestant number is 103
After all of this my grandma had to rush me back for the HS afternoon session from 2pm-4pm. I got there at about 3:15.

So today I had a Volleyball camp from 9am-11am, my younger sister then had hers from 11:30am to 1:30am.

After she got done my mom had to finish a conference call for work then we rushed to the judging of non living projects and records. I did my eggs first, the judge gave my brown eggs a blue, my white a red I totally agree though since they did not look uniform shape, my 6 duck eggs got a blue, and the judge was VERY impressed with my other colored eggs, she complimented me on their uniform shape and color, I am hoping to get at least Superior exhibit with them.
fl.gif

Then I went to go do my poultry record book, like usual the person only knew stuff about swine, sheep, and goats. So I told them what breeds I have, what I feed, and some other things. He also told me that there are only 2 other kids showing poultry!!!!!
big_smile.png

The 2 other kids are cousins, they are in my 4H club, but they have hatchery birds, and I am assuming do not know much about poultry or how to show, they are very nice kids though.
My contestant number is 103
After all of this my grandma had to rush me back for the HS afternoon session from 2pm-4pm. I got there at about 3:15.

What do the other 6 kids in North Dakota do if not 4H?

lau.gif

Actually grats on the ribbons. I hope I get something other than a ribbon for participating this year.

Back
Top Bottom