Surviving Minnesota!

Advice Needed: Interesting turn of events...or As the world turns. My father-in- law (whom we farm with but have separate homesteads) would like to hold back some of the rainbows from the chopping block. (We were raising 15 rainbows for meat for him along with our laying hens.) He wants to keep some hens for layers and hopefully he will get a "broody" next spring. He is big in showing the grandkids all about baby farm animals. Which of the following breeds should I give him to increase the chances of a "broody"? His intent is to also get eggs for consumption. He will never show or breed for show. 

Silver Laced Wyndotte
Plymouth Barred Rock
Black Astralop (only have 1)
Black Sex link (only have 2)
Asian Blues (dual purpose bird - but they are small like BR)
Buff Orpington
Rainbows

THANKS!

I had a black australorp go broody once but I hear it's very rare, at the same time a GLwyandotte was broody too.
I think a buff Orpington would be most likely to go broody than any of them.
And the most chance any chicken has of being broody would be their first spring when they turn one.

Silkies and Cochins are the best broody material. Both of the Cochin bantam hens I have have been broody. One is broody right now!

BA's going broody is definetly not rare... Every single one I have ever owned has gone broody and made great moms. Buff Orps are also very good but tome nothing can beat a Cochin.

I am loving our new bull!!!

He is a 3 year old black angus

I have 15 birds hatch tonight.

With my CLBs that can make white sports, I got 4 out of 10!!

I now have 10 white sports! And it looks like there is one more hatching, if it really makes it out I will be ecstatic! I really like the white sports...

Good morning!
Volleyball camp is done! And I am so happy! The 2 coaches were really watching me, as a freshman, so I hope they will keep scouting and watching me.

Poultry show is tomorrow!!!
1f604.png

I have to wash the red sex links, bantam frizzle cochin, and then redo everything from the hocks down on my LF cochins.
I still don't know what my eggs got, my friend hasn't called ot texted back yet.. But I like the suspense

Back
Top Bottom