Surviving Minnesota!

Good Morning Chickeners! It is barely still a.m. but the fact remains - it still is. I love pictures so I guess it is time I post some. I will - in a few minutes.

As I said, Reggie has the big large white ear lobes. At first I was concerned that something was wrong with him. Gave that up a long time ago. Regina is taking an interest in the nesting boxes. She keeps checking them out, especially when a hen is in laying.
Quote:
Well, you did a good job.

The DH was walking out to his shop. (sounds like the beginning of a joke doesn't it?) ALL the chickens were free-ranging. That means that I preceded him out the door as Tom has been testy today - even towards me. The DH took a different, unusual route to his shop by walking behind the garage. I looked at him questioningly and he said, truly said, yes he actually did say that he wanted to make friends with Reggie and that is why he went that way. LOL. LOL. LOL. Incredible. He is moving faster than Judy when it comes to joining in on this hobby. LOL. When the time comes he says he will hold Reggie and make sure Reggie knows who is boss. Tom . . . . the DH says there is too much to forgive in that relationship to become friends with Tom.

Of course, Reggie is half of Tom's size but then Reggie is only 20 weeks old. But he will never be a Tom.

Hi all! Haven't been around in a while.

I don't have any pictures of it, but a couple weeks ago, one of my roosters got his beak stuck on a wire spring on the feeder.
I had a round metal feeder. It has little wires that act like a spring to hold the adjusters in place. One had come undone, and I didn't realize it. I cam in one day and the poor guy had it stuck through the bottom of his beak. I had to use a needle nose plyer to hold the wire and work him off. I didn't treat it, because I wasn't quite sure how inside his mouth, but he seems to be doing just fine (I was mostly worried about infection.) So weird, but needless to say, I'm not using that feeder any more.

In other chicken news, I have a hen sitting on eggs, and planning on sticking some in the bator soon, too.

Here they are!
2 Blue and 1 Lavender Ameraucana. Glad to have them.
Beautiful!

I really like the middle one BC....

Here are the first 4 White Sports. The 5th one needed another sponge bath and a brushing. I then put her back into the hatcher to dry off, I also had one CLB that needed a bath and brushing. Sometimes they just do not fluff up correctly if the humidity gets low.

And here is a full box of cuteness, ( and no it is not me in a box!!!)...

And finally a really cute little EE. It already has the start of muffs and tufts.

Ralphie, cuteness overload, but this one? OMG, sooooo cute, love this photo!

Just a few shots of my (hopefully) girls..
Cotton, those photos are lovely, and I loved the story about your puppy and those new girls, so sweet!

The DH was walking out to his shop. (sounds like the beginning of a joke doesn't it?) ALL the chickens were free-ranging. That means that I preceded him out the door as Tom has been testy today - even towards me. The DH took a different, unusual route to his shop by walking behind the garage. I looked at him questioningly and he said, truly said, yes he actually did say that he wanted to make friends with Reggie and that is why he went that way. LOL. LOL. LOL. Incredible. He is moving faster than Judy when it comes to joining in on this hobby. LOL. When the time comes he says he will hold Reggie and make sure Reggie knows who is boss. Tom . . . . the DH says there is too much to forgive in that relationship to become friends with Tom.

Of course, Reggie is half of Tom's size but then Reggie is only 20 weeks old. But he will never be a Tom.
I hope Reggie starts to like him!
fl.gif
poor guy, (and Tom)

Hi all! Haven't been around in a while.

I don't have any pictures of it, but a couple weeks ago, one of my roosters got his beak stuck on a wire spring on the feeder.
I had a round metal feeder. It has little wires that act like a spring to hold the adjusters in place. One had come undone, and I didn't realize it. I cam in one day and the poor guy had it stuck through the bottom of his beak. I had to use a needle nose plyer to hold the wire and work him off. I didn't treat it, because I wasn't quite sure how inside his mouth, but he seems to be doing just fine (I was mostly worried about infection.) So weird, but needless to say, I'm not using that feeder any more.

In other chicken news, I have a hen sitting on eggs, and planning on sticking some in the bator soon, too.
Man, that sounds terrible! Hope it heals without issue!

Vermin. I have vermin in my run.
somad.gif
A few days ago a mouse shows up. 2 nights ago a gopher. How do I get rid of them without harming my girls? dang things! I did pick up a sonic something or other from the Menards, vermin is not suppose to like it and after 14 days or so they leave. I'm hoping it works. I do have a couple of those round mouse traps that the mouse goes inside. no luck yet though.

I'm off of work until wednesday, yey!
wee.gif

I got Grand Champion Breeding Poultry and Grand Champion Senior Showmanship with my LF Blue Cochin Pullet!!
My red sex link pullet trio took 1st for their category.
My bantam black frizzle cochin cock took 1st for his category.

My eggs all got blues other then the one red. Angered me because the person who got grand and reserve did not have good eggs, they were not the same color of brown, or the same shape. Where mine were all uniform...

Also they have a premium sale, you don't actually sell your animal, but local businesses bid on them.
My JH volleyball coach was there for CHS nutrition, where she works, and she bid my chicken up to $425!!
I thanked her afterwards, I was so happy! Since some of the horses and sheep didn't even get that much!

Good morning everyone. Busy day today! Been doing some work on the coop and fencing this week. Tomorrow is the big day! Im still nervous about all the testing but have high hopes itll all go good.

Congrats I Love Layers!!

I had a delivery the other day from Speedy Delivery. I asked the driver if they were delivering chicks this year. He said he had not delivered any.

He gave me a number to call, I did, and they are taking chicks again! The woman went out of her way to say they did not get special handling and had to ride in the back like all other packages. I have no idea what that meant. I never figured they would get a window sit in first class. I doubt I will use them this year as I really am trying to cut down on hatching.

If those darn PC's would just give me a dozen fertile eggs, I would shut down for the year. I so want a few more PC chicks. The PC I got from EJB are unbelievable, they just refuse to make babies for me.

I got Grand Champion Breeding Poultry and Grand Champion Senior Showmanship with my LF Blue Cochin Pullet!!
My red sex link pullet trio took 1st for their category.
My bantam black frizzle cochin cock took 1st for his category.

My eggs all got blues other then the one red. Angered me because the person who got grand and reserve did not have good eggs, they were not the same color of brown, or the same shape. Where mine were all uniform...

Also they have a premium sale, you don't actually sell your animal, but local businesses bid on them.
My JH volleyball coach was there for CHS nutrition, where she works, and she bid my chicken up to $425!!
I thanked her afterwards, I was so happy! Since some of the horses and sheep didn't even get that much!

Wow, congrats! A world class showing for sure, you did great!

Back
Top Bottom