Surviving Minnesota!

The snow has started . Time to put away stuff and then relax .
Not here!
We had almost two weeks of grey sky, low ceiling, high humidity and trees coated in hoarfrost, the temp was ok but kind of dreary all the same :(
I wished for change, was even willing to trade colder temps for a bit of sun and what do you know? -20 at night, and mr sun is out today!
The thermometer says cold, but working in the sun it’s nice - long sleeves and a vest is enough :)

In my area have to have a permit to have bees. They can come on your property at anytime to inspect the hive. No honey bees for me.
Wyoming requires a permit also. The hobbyist permit is free and allows a maximum of 5 hives. Their main reason for permits are to protect the commercial apiaries. A commercial permit costs and requires prior approval to make sure that you are not encroaching on another apiary's territory.

Does anyone feed their bantams different feed or different sized feed from their large fowl. I've always bought chick crumble for the show birds, and that's what my younger sisters bantam wyandottes eat also. Well a few weeks ago the elevator didn't have chick feed so I bought regular layer pellets. A few days after feeding that she started having problems breathing and she died a few days ago, not fore sure blaming it on the pellets but she wasn't lethargic or showing any symptoms of being sick other than the problems breathing. I'll go back to buying chick crumbles regardless. But I wanted to see if any of you have ever experienced something like this.

Does anyone feed their bantams different feed or different sized feed from their large fowl. I've always bought chick crumble for the show birds, and that's what my younger sisters bantam wyandottes eat also. Well a few weeks ago the elevator didn't have chick feed so I bought regular layer pellets. A few days after feeding that she started having problems breathing and she died a few days ago, not fore sure blaming it on the pellets but she wasn't lethargic or showing any symptoms of being sick other than the problems breathing. I'll go back to buying chick crumbles regardless. But I wanted to see if any of you have ever experienced something like this.
I'm not sure this is related to bird size. But I will say that I've seen some powdery particulate type feed that I'm not sure didn't cause some cough and Upper respiratory that killed my first standard sized rooster. I'm a crumble and pellet person. And sometimes I even soften with water to help tamp down the dust in the non freezing months and it also helps with pecking out and spillage in my humble opinion. Sorry to hear of the bantam loss they surely are beautiful birds.

Photo bomb . These started to grow during our warm spell . Drying up now . Oyster mushrooms I think on dead ash . Big diameter log . 22 x 22 square 6 feet long for fence boards .
DSCN0946.JPG
DSCN0947.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0948.JPG
    DSCN0948.JPG
    649.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0949.JPG
    DSCN0949.JPG
    641.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0950.JPG
    DSCN0950.JPG
    605.9 KB · Views: 4