Surviving Minnesota!

Ok. Officially jealous Ralphie.

DS wants bees too. DH says, "Bears will ruin you" DH is right. We have a sow that hits every spring. she gets something. pulls a heavy haybale. etc etc. The Hackensack people. Mann's? Right? they recommend the U of MN beekeeping course. It's a complicated science I think and they can give tips for common issues/infestations, etc.

DS wants bees too. DH says, "Bears will ruin you" DH is right. We have a sow that hits every spring. she gets something. pulls a heavy haybale. etc etc. The Hackensack people. Mann's? Right? they recommend the U of MN beekeeping course. It's a complicated science I think and they can give tips for common issues/infestations, etc.
Electric fencing around the perimeter of physical fencing. (We don’t have bears, but that’s what I’d do, fwiw.)

A guy from our church is going to help me this year. I am buying some of his extra equipment.

He is including the supers with the comb in it. I guess that is a big help over them having to make new comb.

My brother has been taking a class in NC and is sending me all the material he has. I think the class by the U would be helpful, but time is getting scarce and will for be for next 10 months.

From what I have read and in talking to others I will not be over wintering my bees.....

I will just lift the lid and let them free some 5 degree day.

Most people lose their bees over the winter and it takes 50-75 pounds of honey to feed them. Hopefully, I can sell that honey and get enough to buy bees in the spring.

I will be putting them in my orchard which already has a deer/bear electric fence around them.

A guy from our church is going to help me this year. I am buying some of his extra equipment.

He is including the supers with the comb in it. I guess that is a big help over them having to make new comb.

My brother has been taking a class in NC and is sending me all the material he has. I think the class by the U would be helpful, but time is getting scarce and will for be for next 10 months.

From what I have read and in talking to others I will not be over wintering my bees.....

Most people lose their bees over the winter and it takes 50-75 pounds of honey to feed them. Hopefully, I can sell that honey and get enough to buy bees in the spring.

I will be putting them in my orchard which already has a deer/bear electric fence around them.
Doesn't sound sustainable
Definitely cost more than chickens

I just found this under a hissing goose (the big one, not the little ones). It’s 12 degrees out there and too early imo to be incubating goose eggs. I guess I’ll be trying out my first goose egg omelette...
564A78D0-0CC5-4B06-95B7-0CAF2EEF433B.jpeg

Ralphie, I suggest you up the voltage on your electric fence to 220. Bears are large animals and do not learn very fast. Come to think of it perhaps you could put a solar power system at Togo and use it to fence out the Sasquatch's ?

Back
Top Bottom