Surviving Minnesota!

If you find a resort or somebody like my husband that has kept a snow road open then that road is about 15 inches of ice. Before this warm spell there was a couple nights of -20 and the heavy wet slush did freeze into some sort of crumbly weird ice. And those ‘refreezes ‘ are spotty and unpredictable at best. When it was wet and slushy dH did not check on the fish house so we are ...#%&@?! It will have to be taken off in pieces as the slush thaws...? Hopefully in February...? His friend says well it can’t get any worse let’s wait and see what happens. Lol. Frozen in right to the floor or higher. 🙄

This weekend is our ice Bocce tournament. We have company for two nights. Cleaned out our guest room and closet. 15 years of children’s books, toys, bunk beds, rocking recliner all removed.
Felt good to get this room in shape for guests as it should be.
Chickens still bored to tears in the run. The snow has compressed a bit on the trail sides. Maybe not butt high anymore. But higher than my knees.

I got Sadie a chuckit ball thrower because I throw like a ninny. Nearly kills my shoulder and arm for little throws. She. Loves. Me! And the chuckit. Our vet usually chastises us in the spring because she gains in the winter. We-ell mr. Veterinarian we are going to be surprising you this spring.

Jerry whatcha hatching???? 🤗

Hatching Easter Eggers for layers . Mostly because they are laying .

I was told it was cancelled.. but not because of the ice but because of the rowdiness and mess left afterwards..

but I could have been lied to... I dunno..

https://www.eelpoutfestival.com/
That's a shame. Hopefully they can start it up again after a couple of years
Big Irish fest had same issues and they came back with no alcohol

The Eel Pout Festival organizers and city and county officials came to an impasse on What was needed for clean up. They wanted the organizers to pony up big time for clean up. What was difficult for the organizers is that the Lake is Public domain and that anybody can use it or access it. Related to the festival or not. So it is cancelled.
Last year there was a foot of water and slush on the lake for most of the weekend. Then Saturday night into Sunday morning hours a storm and extreme drop in temperatures hit and everything from wheel house poop bags to the most expensive wheel house and toys were frozen in. It was truly bad luck all around for them. Because there are people that pick up their messes too. People with Bobcats and the nicest snowplows were called to come help tow and rescue this expensive set ups and they were breaking their own equipment. Equipment they need for their living. And the garbage. That's what made the locals on the lake go insane. Bags upon bags of beer cans and wheel house shitola, couches with skis on them, general junk all frozen to the lake and unable to be pulled off or cleaned up until months later, if it didn't already sink.
I see both sides honestly. The Sheriff's deputies have their hands full with all sorts of calls, dui's, and even a carbon monoxide death last year. It's a small county-limited budgets.
The economics that will be lost over this is a huge deal to these businesses. And I feel for them.
The organizers are being asked to pay for things that are above and beyond what it takes in.

...And the MN DNR made the Eel Pout a game fish-removing it from rough fish status. Which means each fish entered in the contest would need to be identified as so&so's fish. Can't just add to the pile I guess. Not sure how their contest works...so I'm talking on stuff IDK about as far as the contest goes and game fish regs.

And there you have it.

A couple weeks back Winona was all in a tizzy because Winona Ryder was in town filming for a Super Bowl commercial. It was just rumor at first, but then they started putting up extra signs, and people spotted her around town. They put up a fake Welcome to Winona sign right across from my Grandma's house where my family run plumbing business is still run out of. My dad watched them film that part of the commercial. Afterward it ended up they were going to just smash up the sign since it was too expensive to ship it back to New York or I forgot where it was built. My dad and uncle were talking about it to them and they told them they could have it to put up in the new shed my family built there. This Super Bowl commercial teaser features the sign heavily, pretty cool!

There are some funny things when watching though, they added some signs in town that didn't exist other than for the commercial. They didn't like our bowling alley, or any of our diners so those were actually filmed in the cities. As far as I know the diner they used was one of the Mickey's Diners, and I'm not sure what bowling alley they used. Our Winona Bowl alley actually closed it's doors this past fall/summer sometime.

Still pretty cool, and has Winona feeling pretty good this winter.

IMG_9248.JPG

IMG_9339.jpg

IMG_9340.PNG

I covered up my aunt and cousin's faces since I had to steal her pic since I can't find the ones I took of the sign in the shop, I swore I took some!

A couple weeks back Winona was all in a tizzy because Winona Ryder was in town filming for a Super Bowl commercial. It was just rumor at first, but then they started putting up extra signs, and people spotted her around town. They put up a fake Welcome to Winona sign right across from my Grandma's house where my family run plumbing business is still run out of. My dad watched them film that part of the commercial. Afterward it ended up they were going to just smash up the sign since it was too expensive to ship it back to New York or I forgot where it was built. My dad and uncle were talking about it to them and they told them they could have it to put up in the new shed my family built there. This Super Bowl commercial teaser features the sign heavily, pretty cool!

There are some funny things when watching though, they added some signs in town that didn't exist other than for the commercial. They didn't like our bowling alley, or any of our diners so those were actually filmed in the cities. As far as I know the diner they used was one of the Mickey's Diners, and I'm not sure what bowling alley they used. Our Winona Bowl alley actually closed it's doors this past fall/summer sometime.

Still pretty cool, and has Winona feeling pretty good this winter.

View attachment 2013324

View attachment 2013325

View attachment 2013327

I covered up my aunt and cousin's faces since I had to steal her pic since I can't find the ones I took of the sign in the shop, I swore I took some!
That's pretty darn cool!

Back
Top Bottom