Surviving Minnesota!

Chickens in MN either have lots of fluff or go to extremes to stay warm... Such has sleeping on a cat...

Is your coop insulated?

Watch them film is so interesting. One of John Grissom's books, The Firm was filmed in our office building. I got stuck in an elevator with Tom Cruiz. Few facts about Tom: he's very nice, I'm a lot taller...he's really short....but he's prettier!! Also met Tom Hanks when they were filming Castaway. They used parts of FedEx...I was there to help them to modify some of the Hangers & Pilots lounge. He's really nice too. There were other actors who I didn't know. Not a big movie goer.
I really liked that movie the Firm. Pretty cool, Memphis!

It was pretty cool, really shook things up for a few days lol! In other news, I'm already over winter, and I know there's still a few good snow storms, and well below zero temps lurking around a few corners before spring. :hit
hmarg. We are enjoying 20-30 degree temps all last week and this week too. And I have to say... I'm ready for spring too. Actually since getting the chickens 7 years ago, I've been over winter. I enjoy having these sweet hens out and about on the property. I don't mind the chores of open water and such. I'm built for taking care of critters and people. But I just feel bad for them and know it's not their best life to be cooped up.

Okay edited to add that I have a slight neurosis about watching my kids drive to school on snow roads. And driving on snow roads myself. In addition to the chicken free ranging deal.

Last edited:
Wow talk about foggy yesterday, morning was probably 1/8 mile visibility, last night was no more than 200 feet in front of you!
Both of my sister's Wyandotte pullets are broody, the cockerel is kinda bummed right now

Both of my sister's Wyandotte pullets are broody, the cockerel is kinda bummed right now
:lau Poor boy! One of my geese (the gander I expect) was climbing on top of another, but not having much luck making the connection. No goose eggs yet as far as I know. Practice ahead of time, I suppose.

First chick hatched of my prospective capon/poulard population (in lieu of CX or RRs). So cute and energetic! (Though not so lively in this pic. :gig)

D0E5323B-9E0E-408A-87CB-6ADDC3BAB764.jpeg

I really liked that movie the Firm. Pretty cool, Memphis!

hmarg. We are enjoying 20-30 degree temps all last week and this week too. And I have to say... I'm ready for spring too. Actually since getting the chickens 7 years ago, I've been over winter. I enjoy having these sweet hens out and about on the property. I don't mind the chores of open water and such. I'm built for taking care of critters and people. But I just feel bad for them and know it's not their best life to be cooped up.

Okay edited to add that I have a slight neurosis about watching my kids drive to school on snow roads. And driving on snow roads myself. In addition to the chicken free ranging deal.

I feel the same, they seem so sad all winter. The ducks don't mind it, but sometimes the chickens don't even want to come out to drink water and just eat some snow and go back in. I opened up a new area to them inside so they could at least wander around a bit more since they refuse to hang out outside. I'm not overly fond of winter driving either, ugh.

I feel the same, they seem so sad all winter. The ducks don't mind it, but sometimes the chickens don't even want to come out to drink water and just eat some snow and go back in. I opened up a new area to them inside so they could at least wander around a bit more since they refuse to hang out outside. I'm not overly fond of winter driving either, ugh.

Speaking of winter driving I have a permitted driver.....said permitted driver tries to get away with "I'm not driving on ice, are you kidding me?" In typical mom fashion I respond, "Well I guess we will stay home."

Speaking of winter driving I have a permitted driver.....said permitted driver tries to get away with "I'm not driving on ice, are you kidding me?" In typical mom fashion I respond, "Well I guess we will stay home."
I am willing to teach said permitted driver a few things she won’t learn in drivers ed....

Like Ditch jumping... whipping a poopy... what happens when you apply the emergency brake at 70 on gravel.

and I wouldn’t charge much for the lessons either...

Back
Top Bottom