Tarp on top of RUN

We bought el cheapo tarps that work well, but in a big wind they act like a sail and we found our freestanding pen 30' away the next morning. So cut wind slits in it (a flap a little larger than a half circle). That's what we do to keep banners from flying off. Also use bungee cords as tiedowns so there is some give, otherwise the weakest point will tear out.

Quote:
Last winter there were a few threads here about runs collapsing under the weight of snow and ice. Best advice is don't even thing about it unless you provide the same supporting structure below that you would for a permanent roof. Once it ices over, it's doomed.

Wayne

Last edited:
I'm in Flawda as well, tarps are only a temporary solution. If you're worried about expense, Home depot has an inexpensive courregated roofing galvanized tin,

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-M...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

easy to install, depending on your coop design, a slight slope drains water easily and at $10 a sheet, you can buy pieces when you can afford them.
Tarps only last a couple of seasons especially in sunlight, add the cost of them up and you're better off getting tin.

27119_roof.jpg

We have a tarp over one of our pens and it works great. We straped it down with large zip ties and the we took a long 2x4 and put it in the middle and stood it up. It holds up the middle and the rain runs off the sides and ends. Works real well and keeps the rain off the chickens.
Chris

We want to use the tarp to keep hawks out AS well as hens in. We still haven't been able to find the netting but we have plenty of time. Survy is only 2 weeks old and the chicks we are getting next week would be the same so we have time.

We haven't built the coop and run yet, we are still in progress. So far I was thinking of 5x7x7 for the coop while the run to be 18x7. But since we will be having 11 chicks, we need to figure a little better, Probably do the coop as a 7x7x7 (sounds good, a good box form) while the run to be maybe 18x14. Im also building a 2nd coop, side by side with this one, for the showgirls Im trying to get.

I bought a camo military type netting and two poles from uncle Sams army surplus I have it for the top of the pen. then I added sun shade cloth where ever I needed to block the south sun. In two areas I added tarps. I needed to keep the rain out of my feeders, as I have them outside in the pen. I have hutches and can not hang them inside. Too small. I also bought two reed privacy fences and put them on the side that gets afternoon west sun. They let the air pass through and give nice shade. I am in the desert where we have high winds, dust storms, and when it rains, it rains. I have had my netting and all up for almost a year. So far so good. The shade cloth I have on the sides are only fastened on the top. This lets the wind blow in without creating a wall effect that the wind could rip down. I know from past rigging.
he.gif
I also tip the sides of the tarps so that the water can run off.

Back
Top Bottom