Tarp on top of RUN

McCord6

Away
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
Lake Butler (Union County)
Hubby and I are trying to figure out how to do the top of the run, for temp until we can find the netting we want to use for it. Well, we are also thinking of how Florida is very rainy lately.

Would be a good idea? Placing a tarp over the top of the Run but putting a few holes to keep from "POOLING"

we have a tarp over our run where the pop door is, just so the chickens can be outside and still have shade and dry.

We used zip ties to tie it to the fencing as tight as we could. We waited until it rained so we could see where the water pooled and then just poked a few holes in the lowest part of where it was pooling. I'm not sure how it will hold up in winter here, but that shouldn't be a problem for you.

We have bird netting over our run and its seems to be working fine for us. We don't have a big coon or possum problem though, I doubt it would keep them out. I

I too am interested in how tarps held up in winter /snowy areas. I have a nice slanted metal roof over 1/2 of the run. But may try taps if it is feasibile over other part.

Quote:
I am in Fl and have had my silver Tarp from walmat on my run for 8 months and when it started to rain I had to run out and put holes in it so the water would run out...I also have chicken wire roof and my tarp rests on it...Works GREAT.. I keep it down the side on 1 side to block some sun but it worked Great in the winter to block the cold wind...
thumbsup.gif

I used the cloth that is sold as weed control for flower beds. Fairly inexpensive, easy to work with- stapled the edges and used a few zip ties to keep it from blowing up. Water goes right thru it and the shade is excellent. Had it on all summer and it has held up well.

N

Quote:
I am in Fl and have had my silver Tarp from walmat on my run for 8 months and when it started to rain I had to run out and put holes in it so the water would run out...I also have chicken wire roof and my tarp rests on it...Works GREAT.. I keep it down the side on 1 side to block some sun but it worked Great in the winter to block the cold wind...
thumbsup.gif

Instead of poking holes in it to drain the pooling, I just attached one of the side grommets a bit lower on the side of my run and all the water runs to it, which has it out of the run.

Quote:
The snow doesn't slide off a tarp very easily - we had a tarp over our run last year, and had to go into the run and push up to get the snow off. Just not really worth the effort.

I now have a tarp on one corner of the run, it prevents snow blowing in and such... the run still gets snow, and now and then the top does hold the snow the top is covered with horse fencing...

How wide is your run?

Mine is 5x15 chain-link kennel.
I have plywood & old wood paneling just laid across in
6' long sheets covering the whole run
-no more muddy run.
Paneling was 2.00 a sheet at Habitat and I figure it's so cheap I can replace it when it disintegrates.
I only use tarps on the sides.
(I tried the tarps and they collapsed under the weight of water and almost pulled my whole run down.)

Is this meant to keep rain off, or (since you said it's for temporary til you find netting) is it just to keep chickens in and hawks out?

I wonder if, because of the problems with tarps vis-a-vis rain and wind, it might be more effective to just go down to Goodwill and find someone's large crocheted afghan, or buy a piece of shadecloth (which will come in handy in summertime even once you HAVE netting), and string THEM up.

They will not keep rain out but then they won't collapse (or collapse your run framing) in rain either, as a tarp can, even with holes poked in it - and a tarp with holes in it won't keep much rain out *either* <g>. They will not flap in the wind, not hardly anyhow, nothing like a tarp which can seriously take flight and/or get shredded. They won't keep predators out but then neither will a tarp.

So it seems to me that they have all the virtues of a tarp, with none of the downsides, and potentially less cost (for the afghan version) or greater long-term usefulness (for the shadecloth version)

Just something to think about,

Pat

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Instead of poking holes in it to drain the pooling, I just attached one of the side grommets a bit lower on the side of my run and all the water runs to it, which has it out of the run.

My run never stays wet long I have Florida sand GREAT drainage..Kinda like a free run wash
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom