Théo and the chickens des Sauches

Blanche has been steadily declining ; yesterday was really hard (warning : yucky and depressing paragraph).
She developed sour crop, to the point that she was constantly struggling not to drown aspirating stagnating liquid in her crop. I was hesitant to try anything, as always I'm not sure it's wise to undertake a treatment that can be stressful and not necessarily help a bird that is dying anyway. But seeing her last night and this morning, it was just not possible to leave her alive like that, she had no rest and no respite. So my partner made her vomit all the content of her crop. There was still quite a few whole grains and since she hasn't been eating those for more than ten days, I suppose some blockage must have been developing for a long time. Then we syringed her 1ml of ACV.
We were relieved to see it made a huge difference. While I don't believe it solved the problem, at least she was able to lie down to sleep for a few hours. When she woke up, she was hungry, asked to be let outside the crate and even walked out a bit and ate a tiny amount for the first time since Saturday ! I let her have a bit of yoghurt and starter feed.

Tonight she went to sleep peacefully.
IMG_20240410_172205.jpg

On a lighter note, the broody conspiracy is hitting once again. Léa should completely refuse to leave the nest in a day or two. Merle is still stubborn at sitting. And Chipie is beginning to make broody screams ! She has laid now 9 eggs in a row once every other day. I think that's the most I have ever seen from her 😂. This morning I caught her in the act, which is exceptional as she usually stays from 2 to 4 hours in the nest. From the sounds it seemed like such hard work to bring out a tiny egg.

great news about Blanche :)
While we are very relieved she isn't in such pain anymore, the sour crop is most likely a consequence and not the cause of whatever is killing her. I don't expect her to make again a miraculous come back, a relatively peaceful passing is all I wish for !

While we are very relieved she isn't in such pain anymore, the sour crop is most likely a consequence and not the cause of whatever is killing her. I don't expect her to make again a miraculous come back, a relatively peaceful passing is all I wish for !
You have seen miracles with chickens before. But either way, she has a very good life under your and your partners care. 🤕 💙

March and the beginning of April were very rainy, which was wonderful, but now it feels like we have been dumped in summer too early. The sun is scorching hot.

Gaston (the farmer) came over to collect some eggs to set under one of his bantam who is broody. He wanted eggs from Annette especially, and I also gave him eggs from Mélisse and Laure. So we'll see if Annette's eggs hatch in spite of being slightly gritty on the top.
He has had a lot of predation recently. A weasel has taken a third of his pigeons and all the quails, and a few hens. I'm worried a bit for Pied-beau, but we knew if we rehomed him at Gaston's place, that was a risk.

We almost finished fencing the chicken yard, and it came as a bit of a shock to the chickens today. The worse for them is that there now is a door at the entrance, where there used to be netting they used to jump over. Poor Gaston (the rooster!) crashed face first trying to jump over it 🙁. And Théo who used to get out all the time to escape Gaston doesn't dare ; although he should be able to fly over once he gets used to it.
IMG_20240412_171655.jpg

There probably never was a creature of this earth who is as stubbornly decided to stay alive as Blanche. Yesterday and today, at moments looking at her you could almost not tell that she is sick. She attempted to dustbathe, ate a bit of starter and layer feed, followed the other chickens up and down - but every half hour she crashes and sleeps wherever she is. Anyway, she had two fairly good days, and since she is determined to enjoy every moment she can, I'm happy for her.

Pretty Annette
IMG_20240411_150349.jpg

And with her sisters Lulu and Mélisse picking at some seeds.
IMG_20240411_150342.jpg

Léa is now in full broody mode.
IMG_20240412_120439.jpg

Blanche trying to dustbathe.
IMG_20240412_122103.jpg
IMG_20240412_122135.jpg
IMG_20240412_142843.jpg
IMG_20240412_142851.jpg
IMG_20240412_142901.jpg
IMG_20240412_142929.jpg
IMG_20240412_142948.jpg

Blanche trying to stay with the gang.
IMG_20240412_152418.jpg
IMG_20240412_154923.jpg

Blanche ate some layer feed (just a bit)
IMG_20240412_154944.jpg

And even managed to jump on that low perch to escape Théo's attentions. She was definitely not doing that the last week !
IMG_20240412_164146.jpg

Piou-piou is now the only chicken small enough to cross the fence (with Chipie, who doesn't want to go out). Although she was acting innocent it was sort of written on her face that she had been digging up for worms 😂.
IMG_20240412_170547.jpg

March and the beginning of April were very rainy, which was wonderful, but now it feels like we have been dumped in summer too early. The sun is scorching hot.

Gaston (the farmer) came over to collect some eggs to set under one of his bantam who is broody. He wanted eggs from Annette especially, and I also gave him eggs from Mélisse and Laure. So we'll see if Annette's eggs hatch in spite of being slightly gritty on the top.
He has had a lot of predation recently. A weasel has taken a third of his pigeons and all the quails, and a few hens. I'm worried a bit for Pied-beau, but we knew if we rehomed him at Gaston's place, that was a risk.

We almost finished fencing the chicken yard, and it came as a bit of a shock to the chickens today. The worse for them is that there now is a door at the entrance, where there used to be netting they used to jump over. Poor Gaston (the rooster!) crashed face first trying to jump over it 🙁. And Théo who used to get out all the time to escape Gaston doesn't dare ; although he should be able to fly over once he gets used to it.
View attachment 3799511
There probably never was a creature of this earth who is as stubbornly decided to stay alive as Blanche. Yesterday and today, at moments looking at her you could almost not tell that she is sick. She attempted to dustbathe, ate a bit of starter and layer feed, followed the other chickens up and down - but every half hour she crashes and sleeps wherever she is. Anyway, she had two fairly good days, and since she is determined to enjoy every moment she can, I'm happy for her.

Pretty Annette
View attachment 3799534
And with her sisters Lulu and Mélisse picking at some seeds.
View attachment 3799535
Léa is now in full broody mode.
View attachment 3799455
Blanche trying to dustbathe.
View attachment 3799456View attachment 3799457View attachment 3799458View attachment 3799460View attachment 3799497View attachment 3799501View attachment 3799503
Blanche trying to stay with the gang.
View attachment 3799504View attachment 3799506
Blanche ate some layer feed (just a bit)
View attachment 3799507
And even managed to jump on that low perch to escape Théo's attentions. She was definitely not doing that the last week !
View attachment 3799508
Piou-piou is now the only chicken small enough to cross the fence (with Chipie, who doesn't want to go out). Although she was acting innocent it was sort of written on her face that she had been digging up for worms 😂.
View attachment 3799510
That last picture - Piou-piou - her face!!
:love :love :love

That last picture - Piou-piou - her face!!
:love :love :love
She certainly is one of a kind. And she has us wrapped around her fingers 😂.

Blanche went to roost with the other chickens tonight before I could put her in the crate. She is also incredible. She was fast asleep even with the chaos at roost time.
IMG_20240413_195932.jpg

IMG_20240413_155905.jpg
IMG_20240413_121945.jpg

Blanche and Nougat.
IMG_20240413_091738.jpg
IMG_20240413_091627.jpg

I hope it's OK to give an update on Honey here.

Honey went blind a week ago as mentioned before. We have no idea why. It took two days to go from fine to no eye sight. I can only guess water belly pressing some nerve?? I cannot find anything connecting these two though. Going blind could be independent from water belly.

We thought she would pass soon, but after another couple days we found out that she is still as eager to eat as before she went blind. She is just not able to eat!:(

I've read for blind chicken, they can still peck at food if shown where it is. But Honey is not able to aim, so it seems. Again looking like some neurological issues.

We have been creative and try to hand feed her food that has a large surface area so she can still eat some when she does her random pecking. We have hold a whole corn, a whole zucchini, big slice of apples, etc.. She also has been good at eating pasta.

She is a complete house chicken now. She still has a will to live.

Honey went blind a week ago as mentioned before. We have no idea why. It took two days to go from fine to no eye sight. I can only guess water belly pressing some nerve?? I cannot find anything connecting these two though. Going blind could be independent from water belly.

We thought she would pass soon, but after another couple days we found out that she is still as eager to eat as before she went blind. She is just not able to eat!:(

I've read for blind chicken, they can still peck at food if shown where it is. But Honey is not able to aim, so it seems. Again looking like some neurological issues.

We have been creative and try to hand feed her food that has a large surface area so she can still eat some when she does her random pecking. We have hold a whole corn, a whole zucchini, big slice of apples, etc.. She also has been good at eating pasta.

:hugs
I am so glad she has you.
🥰

Sometimes they say soaked feed, so they get both food and moisture.

Back
Top Bottom