The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have set 6. 4 green eggs, one blue and one cream, all from a mixed flock of mutts
smile.png

I think you have the same incubator as I do, and I've never set my eggs like you have in your pics. How do you get them to set upright like that, no restraint bar at all. Just sheer cramming? I'm interested to know, because I have way more eggs than I thought I would.

surprise chicks from hubby,
Now he did not go out and buy these cute girls, but he did however let his friend bring them over, whose wife couldn't have them anymore.
So she isn't sure the breeds of them, nice huh?
So I called the place she got them and they said they sell 9 breeds, try and figure out which they are...
Any guess my fellow chick lovers?
Here are your choices:
Barred Rock, Americana, Buff O, Golden Comet, Silver Coated Wyandottes, Golden Lace Wyandottes, RIR, Speckled Sussex, Black Australorp

Off topic but after this hatch I'd like to set some EE eggs. If anyone has some I'd like to purchase a dozen or so. I'm in West Virginia. PM me and we can hammer out the details

Oops. Sorry duplicate post.

Um.... look at the pretty chicken instead!
david-bowiepolishchicken.jpg
lau.gif
Love this solution to the double post problem!

So, I set my eggies in the Brinsea mini and filled up one side of the reservoir, per instructions, then popped a plastic lid from a spice jar on the reservoir that mostly covered it. It seems to be working. I was shooting for humidity between 25 and 35, and it's hovering at 27
yesss.gif

(I am trying to do "dry incubation this time because it looked like my NYD may have had too high of humidity)

My other doe gave birth to 2 BIG girls today (to make up for all the boys yesterday.) Done kidding for the season. Now I can concentrate on the HAL again. Lol
Awww, congrats!

Ok so I am officially joining the Hatch-a-long.

On Saturday I will set:

12 English Orps (2 Cuckoo, 2 Red Cuckoo, 3 Chocolate, 2 Gold Laced, 1 Jubilee) all shipped. (incubator #1)
12 Ayam Cemani straight from my own backyard. (incubator #2)

On Monday I will set 12 Arkansas Blue Eggs shipped (incubator #3). These did not quite make it here. So fingers crossed they arrive on Monday.

I am resisting the temptation to set any more than that as I have 34 American Bresse eggs hatching on Tuesday. Not sure why I set to hatch on Tuesday but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Not sure if I can handle anymore than that. I already have 2 brooders full of little chicks (no longer sure of how many but it looks like a little army of all black chicks) plus 10 chicks that no longer fit in a brooder that roost on the side of one.
Welcome!

Reminder:
If you could also give us the total number you set, it would be helpful. It's a manual process to record this for us, there are over 300 participants and 3 of us. It would help us greatly if we didn't have to add up each individuals number set. Although we are interested in the breeds you set, please include the total number somewhere. Thank You!
Great suggestion! Though I thought we were testing your math skills.

Well, good morning all! My cat only had three kittens. Not a one look like a Siamese.
sad.png
The kittens are still cute though.
Beautiful coloring! Congrats!

Lol. Usually I'm a bit better at simple arithmetic, but I haven't slept much the past few days due to kidding season. Good thing M is on the job!

Woke up this morning to find 3 chicks hatched and 5 more pips out if 20 eggs in the hatcher. Probably not gonna be able to sleep tonight either.
smile.png
Babies are so exciting!

Congrats!

WHAT DAY IS IT.....COME ON, COME ON - YOU ALL KNOW......WHAT DAY IS IT?!
EGG SETTING DAY!
images
YES it is! Where is that Set all the eggs sign?

Holy cramoli you guys! I ordered a dozen eggs from the breeder I went through for Cream Legbars. She told me that she'd sent 'a few extra.

She sent 12 extra. I ordered a dozen. Where am I going to put 24 eggs in my little octo bator? Hahaha what a wonderful problem.

I'm thinking of setting the bluest eggs, then check for development at 7 days. If I have quitters, I'll pop in the extras. Yes they'll be old, but the quitters are for sure not going to make it, and the extras still might. I just hate wasting those eggs.
Borrow a bator?

I finally plugged in the incubator. Completely forgot to crank it on yesterday. Guess I'll set sometime late afternoon, will have whatever is laid today to add so 14 or 15 eggs.

Are we to take a photo of eggs in incubator when posting number set?
If you want to, yes.

Product of my first hatch
Nice, congratulations!

Holy cramoli you guys! I ordered a dozen eggs from the breeder I went through for Cream Legbars. She told me that she'd sent 'a few extra.

She sent 12 extra. I ordered a dozen. Where am I going to put 24 eggs in my little octo bator? Hahaha what a wonderful problem.

I'm thinking of setting the bluest eggs, then check for development at 7 days. If I have quitters, I'll pop in the extras. Yes they'll be old, but the quitters are for sure not going to make it, and the extras still might. I just hate wasting those eggs.
Nice problem to have.

I finally plugged in the incubator. Completely forgot to crank it on yesterday. Guess I'll set sometime late afternoon, will have whatever is laid today to add so 14 or 15 eggs.

Are we to take a photo of eggs in incubator when posting number set?
Yes, if you can post a pic.

I think you have the same incubator as I do, and I've never set my eggs like you have in your pics. How do you get them to set upright like that, no restraint bar at all. Just sheer cramming? I'm interested to know, because I have way more eggs than I thought I would.
Me too, how do I fit more eggs into this incubator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom