The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished candling. 32 set. Dropped one(I know I know .... Stupid) yes it was a fertile. 1 very dark blood ring. Cracked it open and it was gross. Down to 30. 29 fertile, ? 1 clear, but that one is a maran so not so sure. I'm feeling happy!!!!!

Last edited:
Candled tonight, Day 7 - out of the 27 (shipped) eggs that I set I had 5 that appear clear. The rest have beautiful veining and clearly saw active moving babies in them all too!!!
woot.gif

Hi all! I did the day 5 candle, and of the 24 I set, 19 are developing! Yaaaay! So excited.

I'm really feeling down tonight. After losing two of our NYD chicks to the dog yesterday, I was hoping for some good news candling tonight. Well, I did not get it. A couple days ago, I did a quick candle and saw development in only 11 out of 30 eggs. Tonight I did my in depth candle to mark air cells and such, and only two of those 11 are definitely alive. 7 of them are most likely quitters (no movement, and veins look to be disintegrating), and 2 had blood rings. :hit

So what are the main possible causes for quitting between days 5 and 7? Other than temps, which seemed fine to me (but I can't be sure because all my temps said something different).

I numbered mine so I can pull only one at a time most heat I've lost is 1.5 degrees

That's a really good idea. Thanx!

Sorry I've been absent...I usually spend most of March screaming at the tv. (march madness) Yeah. Sports nut here. 'specially basketball. Now NBA playoffs are getting ready to start (Go Spurs!), and I'm begging DH for the Hopper so I can dvr all the games. He got me league pass for Christmas.

No they wont
thumbsup.gif

Focus on Temperature--get a very accurate thermometer
Make sure humidity is correct--usually 35 to 45%
Incubate and hatch with the vents open.

I for one will be watching your hatch closely.

Thanks Ron.
I'm going to need all the help I can get! In my incubators I have 8 Serama eggs and 22 call duck eggs. All with ruptured , saddled or detached air cells. There is some very good development going on in at least 7 of the Seramas and at least 14 of the duck eggs.
I think this batch is going to kill me! I have three broodies taking care of some "normal" eggs. So at least I don't have to worry about those. I just get the damaged eggs to work with.
hu.gif

I hadn't used the styrofoam bator in awhile. Last time I did the turner was fine. I have been trying to keep my set egg numbers down to what fits in the Rcom. I generally have it going for parrot eggs. I have been doing a lot of temp taking. Mostly with the Spot check. We did lose electricity once, but I think the eggs survived that okay.
I never use the vent plugs in the styro and I am assuming the Rcom has a good venting system. No way to change it without propping the lid up...

So hard to tell if the air cells are growing at the right rate when they are so scrambled.....
Thanks again.
bow.gif

I'm really feeling down tonight. After losing two of our NYD chicks to the dog yesterday, I was hoping for some good news candling tonight. Well, I did not get it. A couple days ago, I did a quick candle and saw development in only 11 out of 30 eggs. Tonight I did my in depth candle to mark air cells and such, and only two of those 11 are definitely alive. 7 of them are most likely quitters (no movement, and veins look to be disintegrating), and 2 had blood rings.
hit.gif

So what are the main possible causes for quitting between days 5 and 7? Other than temps, which seemed fine to me (but I can't be sure because all my temps said something different).

match the day with the analysis.

It looks like it could be a lot of things, including humidity too low!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom