The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a Circulated Air Hovabator - 2362-E, I haven't crossed referenced the thermometer yet, but it's staying right around 99.5-100. I'm just triple checking that this is the correct temp circulated air incubators? I was reading that still air needs to be at a different temp? The more I read the more confused I get.
Yes, you are correct. Forced air is 99.5F and still air is 101-102F taken near the top of the eggs. (It's easy to get confused.)

So I have a Circulated Air Hovabator - 2362-E, I haven't crossed referenced the thermometer yet, but it's staying right around 99.5-100.  I'm just triple checking that this is the correct temp circulated air incubators?  I was reading that still air needs to be at a different temp?  The more I read the more confused I get.  

I have the same bator and keep the thermometer right around 100°. So far, hatches from my own eggs have been 90-95%. I do have a second thermometer in there though just to make sure of accuracy. No complaints at all yet. This thing is solid as a rock with temps :)

@FrenchToast Maybe a glimmer of hope here. I have a old fashioned Mercury thermometer I've been using to double check the temps. They are the most accurate thermometer (according to experts and wiki) and I left inside last time on top of the other digital one and while the digital one did'nt record any different the Mercury one did. When I took it off it said 106!
ep.gif
So I checked it out, I shook it down and let it cool off. Then I put it back in for 5 minutes in the same place and it was 99.5.
woot.gif
But then I repeated that in another half hour just to make sure. Again after 5 min 99.5
yesss.gif
So what I'm saying is that if the most accurate type can go higher by laying on something else then so can, maybe especially, a digital.
fl.gif

At first I stressed, but then I figured different materials hold heat differently. Mercury thermometers aren't meant to be left in the heat that long. The longer the glass stays warm/hot the more it expands as does plastic.

Anyway I'm really routing for you!!!
fl.gif

It depends on what late means.

Day 5 is way to early to see much. By day 10 with polish eggs you can safely toss them. Sometimes on day 5 you can see a bit of murky to the yolk that will become veins and an embryo. Other times you can see strong veins starting.

What I do is start to sort them into good and then questionable. I often have a couple of questionable eggs move into the good section of the incubator. Sometimes what looks like a blood ring develops into a chick too. I learned the hard way because I open all the eggs I remove. I was very sad to crack open an egg and see a live but soon to be dead embryo...I am so much more careful now.

Don't give up on them. I have Mottled Houdan in there right now and almost threw them out at day seven because i didn't see any life. They were shipped eggs and took a long time getting here. Then today (day 10) I looked again and WOW they all have big healthy embryos growing!

Thanks guys, that actually gives me a little bit of hope and more knowledge. Unless it's a really dark egg that I can't see anything, I usually toss them by day 10. I'll give them a chance as long as they don't actually look bad.

Sorry, I'm just going to go ahead and ask a billion questions. I can't handle another hatch like the one I just finished. :(

The brinsea spot check readings go up to 102 and down to 99. Do I average these out? Or should I be taping the seams or covering with a towel to keep things more steady? I'm using the plain LG still air.

I have the same bator and keep the thermometer right around 100°. So far, hatches from my own eggs have been 90-95%. I do have a second thermometer in there though just to make sure of accuracy. No complaints at all yet. This thing is solid as a rock with temps
smile.png
Thank you! I was hoping someone who had the same model would post. I was just reading the online manual, and it was saying to put the Thermometer on top of the eggs? I have mine on the wire, didn't think twice about putting it there because it's the first time I've ever used this incubator. I'm hoping the temp isn't way high once I adjust the placement of the thermometer? Where do you normally place your thermometer?

I'm hatching my own eggs too! First time for that also! Do you have a humidity gauge in there too? I wasn't going to worry about it, but everyone on here seems so intense about it, maybe I should get one?

Thanks for your help!

happy ST PATTYS DAY yall!

I haven't been on much today...and have lots to catch up on.
im still so worried about my shipped eggs. I checked air cells again and they are twirling around in there like a ballerina. I turned them upright, after having 3 turnings in the bator so far, im deciding just to leave them upright till the 19th with no turning. my goodness....should I be ok with doing this? shipped eggs are HARD! makes me want to not get anymore...LOL
ep.gif

Quote: My black swedes right now are laying a EE blue egg the size of a khaki duck egg, a light light muddy colored egg the size of a khaki duck egg, and a white duck egg that looks very similar to what I used to get from my khaki ducks. Then today I got 2 EE blue duck eggs, a dirty light muddy colored duck egg, and a white duck egg. They were all about the same size ~ the size I used to get from my khakis. I'm hoping all 4 came from my black ducks but then again it would be wonderful news if my mallards were finally laying eggs. They were summer hatches June or July last year and still not clearly laying eggs.
The Mallards should be laying by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom