The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooh I hate that! That was why my still air got demoted. Thing spiked all over the place.

Luckily it is forced air...but it's old. What incubator are you currently relying on?

We also have the hova bator. I think I was able to correct the problem I was having with ours fluctuating. The thermometer that came with it is not accurate. I put a GOOD thermometer in and the one that came with it is about 6-8 degrees off. No wonder my chicks were dying. When it fluctuated degrees I had 2 problems. One was the I accuracy of the thermometer and the other was the condition of the room I had them in. We heat with a wood stove and let it go out over night. I have had so many chicks ready to hatch and died over night. The incubator wasn't able to sustain the difference of the temperature in the room. Now we have it in a room where the temperature does not fluctuate as drastically, although it is on the chilly side. The bator is now stable and only 7 of the 30 or so eggs are died. When the temperature dropped, my thermometer read 97 but it was really way below that which is why they didn't make it. I expect much better results now. Blaw! Fluctuating temps are frustrating!

Thanks for the tip! I do have a new accurate thermometer so incorrect readings shouldn't be an issue. Room temperature should remain stable +/-2degrees or so.
I just hope the temp fluctuation hasn't caused any deaths...Only time will tell.

I've just about given up on my test hatch I checked on them in the still air and they were all cold =...( I don't know what happened. It still seems to be working, used it as a Hatcher all last year without a hiccup. Good thing everything else is in the cabinet guess I'll be hand turning ducks and my Easter set while the rest go on lockdown fun.

I've just about given up on my test hatch I checked on them in the still air and they were all cold =...( I don't know what happened. It still seems to be working, used it as a Hatcher all last year without a hiccup. Good thing everything else is in the cabinet guess I'll be hand turning ducks and my Easter set while the rest go on lockdown fun.

Don't give up on them! Was it working earlier today? They should be fine, even if it's been 12 hrs..they should be far enough along that they could be ok..if you set them when the set date was..the 14th.

3 tablespoons Pickling spice 2 cups vinigar, 1 cup water. Bring mix to a boil cool and pour over peeled eggs covering them. Add fresh chopped garlic and dill. Add hot peppers if you want a little kick. Let set in fridge for a week then enjoy. Just that simple.

Thanks!  Simple, the best way I like it.  

Ok, don't laugh, I've never done this..but..but..but..did you boil the eggs first..or do you let the boiling water do whatever..lol..then the setting..oh I don't know...    :oops:    I am thinking, yes boil eggs first. :p   So going to do this next week. 

Yes hard boil and peel the eggsfirst then put them in a jar and pour mixture over them till the mixture coversthe eggs.

I am so excited! I candled and saw things jumping around. I *may* have even seen something jumping around in the marans egg I checked! My chickens might be having babies! I really wasn't sure that Gilgamesh (roo) had even noticed George (marans hen).

So far, in my hatches, I have had good rates of develepment, but poor hatches. I *think* it's some interrelationship between high altitude, the brinsea holding humidity too well, and lack of sufficient oxygen, but I am not certain. For now, I am trying to hold humidity at 35%.

C'mon chickies! You can do it!

I am so excited! I candled and saw things jumping around. I *may* have even seen something jumping around in the marans egg I checked! My chickens might be having babies! I really wasn't sure that Gilgamesh (roo) had even noticed George (marans hen).

So far, in my hatches, I have had good rates of develepment, but poor hatches. I *think* it's some interrelationship between high altitude, the brinsea holding humidity too well, and lack of sufficient oxygen, but I am not certain. For now, I am trying to hold humidity at 35%.

C'mon chickies! You can do it!

Red..read this post about the Brinsea..possibly holding humidity too well. ?? Could be what happened with yours?

I learned a couple of yrs. back on how important the oxygen level is ~ while/during incubation. I don't even use the plugs anymore. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom