The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

I grew up calling them possums, but spelling it opossum.  Shrug.  

I did have one of those mind blowing / reality altering situations a few years ago, though.  I walked into a grocery store one day and it was lit up like Valentine's Day, but it was October.  I thought to myself, "What the heck?"  Did I miss something?  I asked someone and they said it was Sweetest Day.  Um, what?  "Sweet-est DAY?"  (Say this with a sneer, I did.)  Sweetest day?  Really?  OOooooooooook.  I had recently moved to the area at the time.  I thought, much like Tyme machines and bubblers, that this was a Wisconsin thang.  

So, I did what anyone would naturally do.  I called my Mom.  Mom is pretty much my litmus test for "should I have known about this?"  Mom tells me, oh yeah, Sweetest day, been around for years.

Well, huh.  

(I still think they made it up a few years ago and the whole world is in on the conspiracy to try to convince me it actually is a holiday, regardless of how ridiculous it sounds, just to see if I'm gullible to believe it.)

Same here about the opossums. I did the same as you. As for sweetest day, never in my life have I heard of that...

So, with the new roosters comes the removal of the other rooster. I had one as a spare through winter, just in case something happened to Fabio. Didn't really like how the younger rooster was turning out, anyway, so yesterday he went to crock pot camp. This morning I awoke to the delicious smell of chicken slow cooking, YUMMY. Meat was so tender, falling off the bone, so deboned the crock pot contents to chicken stock and meat- and added carrots, onion, and celery (with Dana Carvey's choppin' broccoli song rolling in my head)- plucked 2 eggs from under a hen and made up some noodles- and have set the chicken/veggies to slow cook a bit before I add the noodles. Smells so delicious, can't wait for homemade chicken noodle soup for lunch!
yum I wish I had a few spare cockerels now. I'm sure I will come fall.

Test hatch still going on Day 22.
3 hatched- 2 more pips. 3 no signs yet
Here are pics from the hatch. 2 are chocolate and 1 chocolate cuckoo. The chocolate ones are pullets. Any guesses on the chocolate cuckoo?

I am getting ready for hatch day! LOL I ordered me Brinsea Octagon 40 Advanced incubator! Bigger is better, right?
yippiechickie.gif

Test hatch still going on Day 22. 3 hatched- 2 more pips. 3 no signs yet Here are pics from the hatch. 2 are chocolate and 1 chocolate cuckoo. The chocolate ones are pullets. Any guesses on the chocolate cuckoo?
Yay!!!! I hope we get the rest out!! I'm so excited, been a bit worried BC you haven't pmed me but I'm super excited! Anything from the legbars eggs yet? Oh I want more blue layers-come on legbar chickies!!! Oh also you said only 8 made it to lockdown. Which one dropped out? In case anyone is perplexed by this, Junibutt's test hatch are moving in with me so I may be more excited than anyone about them.

So this is random but we got to see our favorite EE, Pebbles lay today she has beautiful blue green eggs that often look like they have a tint of gray. My question is that it doesn't have an air cell right now... I know the air cell is supposed to be very tiny when layed but there is absolutely no visible one and idk what to make of that. It's been almost an hour now and still nothing. Should I not save this egg?

So this is random but we got to see our favorite EE, Pebbles lay today she has beautiful blue green eggs that often look like they have a tint of gray. My question is that it doesn't have an air cell right now... I know the air cell is supposed to be very tiny when layed but there is absolutely no visible one and idk what to make of that. It's been almost an hour now and still nothing. Should I not save this egg?

It is very hard to see into blue green eggs.

Are you collecting her eggs for the hatch a long?

It will be fine!

The air cell will show up over the next few days. Not seeing one the first day or so is not uncommon! Save away!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom