The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

I am so torn between posting pictures of my lady amherst pheasant, or one of my peacocks for the most handsome male fowl picture... decisions are not my strong point. Haha. My peacocks photograph better, but there are already some peacock entries,as well as last years winner.

However, as I was seeing if I could get some more pictures, my yellow golden was feeling like a model...

Meet Trump

I Love his name!

Okay, I had a bad experience with shipped eggs, and am scared to try again, but I see several people on here that are using them. Maybe I just had a untruthful person ship me eggs? I had 2 dozen eggs shipped to me, they were packed well, only a few broken, we let them set for a day before we put them in the incubator & NONE of them progressed at all. I informed the lady & she shipped me 18 more, same exact thing......... My parents did the incubating (which they have hatched lots & lots of eggs), so that's why I am testing the incubator myself before the HAL. I put 11 of our eggs in, 8 progressed & so far 5 of the 8 have hatched with 1 starting to pip. Dare I try it again? Not sure my ladies will have enough to fill my bator (holds 48) and I want to fill it!!!!! lol Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you & God bless!
I agree with @Sahwithchicks on some postal routes being murder on eggs. Try a different breeder from a different direction to see if it makes a difference. If you have the same experience again, it could be your local sort center or post office that is treating the package roughly. Sometimes, the day it is shipped makes a difference. I do not ship on Mondays as that is a very bad day for our sort center. One package that I sent out on a Monday going to AR actually went from Cincinnati (my hub) to Maryland to North Carolina and to Tennessee before finally getting to Arkansas about 5 days later.
he.gif
roll.png

My opinion is a breeder wouldn't bother to ship eggs a second time if they were sending dud eggs I know from my personal experience that there are specific shipping locations/hubs that just don't work out for me.

I am so torn between posting pictures of my lady amherst pheasant, or one of my peacocks for the most handsome male fowl picture... decisions are not my strong point. Haha. My peacocks photograph better, but there are already some peacock entries,as well as last years winner.

However, as I was seeing if I could get some more pictures, my yellow golden was feeling like a model...

Meet Trump

Very pretty!

With all this talk of shipping issues and hassles...I sure hope everyone's eggs arrive in excellent condition.
fl.gif

Local, I hope all is good with your 'bator.
hugs.gif

I think I was half asleep when I was posting last night...I missed a LOT 'o stuff.
hmm.png

Quote:
Hmmm, I always read you should have the incubator up and running prior to the eggs arriving, that way temperature and humidity is good to go when you're ready to actually start incubating. And I'd imagine the using the turner right away might depend on the state of the air cells. If damaged, I'd let them sit without turning as well but if they're not loose, does it matter much? Also, is 8 hours enough for them to rest before adding the heat of an incubator? My temps are going to be a warm 20s-30s next week when they arrive, so I'm assuming they're going to be cold when they get here. I can't imagine going from 30-40 degrees to almost 100 degrees in an 8 hour span is good for them. But then, I'm totally new to this so who am I to say otherwise?

Besides, if you want me to incubate within 8 hours of receiving them, I'll be too early for the hatch-a-long
barnie.gif

Thanks for the tip Cree. Since she IS my flock at the moment, if she's sick no-one else is in danger. I'll go to TSC and see what I can find in the morning.(also if she's sick, I'm going to complain and ask for my money back)

Just checked the eggs I have in the incubator. They are 5 days in and I see 8/8 with veins. Chalk 8 up to the Hovaboator 1583!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom