The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Quote: They can be. It all depends on the parent stock. I only had 2 brown eggs in the whole dozen and one of them hatch from a green egg before the brown eggs hatched.
all of them are about the same size. The funny thing is, they're all friendly, except the solid white one!
lol.png

I will be setting 32 eggs, mostly EE and OE and one Toppy Game/Silkie cross egg. I was hoping to get another of the game silkie cross but she is being stingy.
yesss.gif
LOVELY!!!

27 egg set today, March 4th midday.

13 (one is a pullet egg) Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
14 bantam Araucana, some pure some mixed (the beige tiny eggs are mixed)

Set in my Brinsea Eco 20 with auto turn cradle. They are shipped eggs so I will wait 24 hours before plugging it in.

*to be noted, the pullet BLRW egg is broken on the tip and one of the blue Araucana eggs has a spider crack on a side. They typically quit but I thought I'd try!!!

That's my Easter Hatch-A-Long entry!

pretty!!!!

Question, this chicks back side seems swollen had not notice it till I picked it up. I thought it was pasty butt but the vent is not plugged. It's running and eating well but this is how the vent looks what could it be and how can I help
that is a messy bum, any others like this? poop looks runny,
How to Prevent Chicks from Getting Coccidiosis post #4779

@mlm Mike I promise I won't add anymore eggs after this. The final count is 90 and it's not going any higher.

@LocalYokel I finally got a pic of Marble for you. It's still gross in that pen, but she was by herself so I took it.

Here's the rest of the flock(s)

Blizzard and his girls plus Ducky Girl.

Saint and some of his girls. Marble is in this pen.

Oddball and Jewel. Jet is moving in with them soon. Jewel is starting to look rough. I have no eggs from them for this hatch. @Amberjem this is my dancing roo.

Talos and his girls Nocturnal and Azura.

I'll get a pic of Jet after I move her.
What a colorful Flock Raz!!! love them!!! silkies are adorable!!

I got my BCM eggs yesterday and set them today in my new to me incubator! Hoping for a happy Easter hatch!!!
YAY!!!!! got pics!! love seeing BCM!!

Set 14 shipped black copper from bwalden today at 12:00 noon.

Good hatching every one!

lovely eggs!!!
Here are my eggs. Set this morning. 21 of them. I have a lot more than that in there now. Had a couple of people ask if I could pop some in for them .. since I have my bator going...ha..ha..they knew it was going, almost always! I don't mind, I just need to figure out a way to separate the three beautiful blue eggs that one brought by, from my EE's when it's time to hatch. They are from a Wheaton A. I am worried that I will have an EE or two that may look like one of those when hatched.
The others from my other friend won't be a problem..they are all Black Jersey Giants! lol...

I had planned on having 6 silkies. Went to pick them up last night. It was a young man that had gathered them from Grandpa's farm. I knocked on the door .. mom answers. The young man was at work, she knew nothing about it. Then she puts her hands to her mouth and says..oh nooo...! My husband was wiping the counter and knocked some eggs off. She went to a back room where he was and asked, how many eggs were in that carton you knocked off? He says..6.
hmm.png
He comes out, I don't think they all broke though. They are out in the garbage. I said, hey, I'll take the unbroken ones. Out we go to the garbage. They had only been out there for about 20 mins. he says. That wasn't my worry of course. First the fall from the counter, then him tossing the egg carton into the garbage can, which was not very full..down they went again. I have two..that I had to gently wash before adding them to the bator that has eggs ready to go into lock down on Tues. Not going to count those two for the hatch a long. I will be happy if they hatch though.
big_smile.png

My 21....

I prefer hand turning, but with all of the others added from my two friends, this thing is full. This is how I hatched the last ones from her, in a turner, had 36 to start with. They did well!
so pretty!!

Thanks, I won't mind if you end up setting more. I would never discourage someone from setting more eggs!
Lovely flock, I love the duck!

Hatching Participant List is Current to Post 6640
Thank you Mike!! your awesome!!!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Just finished candling the eggs with the bad air cells that I set on Tuesday. It looks like most of the saddles in the saddle cell eggs have shrunk, 5 of the 7 eggs with freely moving air cells now have the cell settled and unmoving at the top of the egg, 3 of the eggs have possible blood rings... but 3 definitely have veins! In one of them, the little embryo must be right up against the side of the shell, because I could see a perfect little clear blob with a cute little starburst of veins coming from a single red dot. It was clear as daylight. I've never seen that in an egg before (granted, I've never candled at day 3). So there's hope for these eggs yet!

The second incubator is on and stabilizing, I'll probably be sticking my HAL eggs in it tonight if all looks good. Pictures to come!

They can be. It all depends on the parent stock. I only had 2 brown eggs in the whole dozen and one of them hatch from a green egg before the brown eggs hatched. 
all of them are about the same size. The funny thing is, they're all friendly, except the solid white one! :lol:

Very interesting! Had no idea! Mine were chipmunk babies lol one turned out orange and one white but both with some pretty neck feathers and lacing, lacing is more pronounced in the white one.

And aww! Hahah maybe its a roo? Saw a website once where they tracked the color change as they grew and most of their white ones ended up being roos

Very interesting! Had no idea! Mine were chipmunk babies lol one turned out orange and one white but both with some pretty neck feathers and lacing, lacing is more pronounced in the white one.

And aww! Hahah maybe its a roo? Saw a website once where they tracked the color change as they grew and most of their white ones ended up being roos

Are you referring to this site perhaps? I read through all of the groups, it was neat to see what each chick turned into in each experiment!

http://www.plumjam.com/poultry/breeds/ee-colors.cfm

I've been doing a lot of reading about how to make my chicks friendly and I found that many people put the brooder on the ground causing the person to reach from the top to get the chicks, change bedding and feed/water. This scares the birds because they come to see you as an aerial predator and makes them less likely to be nice. I'm going to try to set up a waist high brooder this next hatch to cut down on this and it will be OUTSIDE in the big coop so they can also be seen by the adult birds and faster introduced to the flock.

Quote: Maybe. None of them a showing what they are yet, but they hatched on January 21st, so I'm not too worried about it right now. So far there an awesome color assortment in them. I had one other buff and chipmunk, but they decided to escape the kennel I had them in while cleaning the brooder and I lost them. Found them, but lost them.

Quote: Thanks for linking to that! I've only read a little, but that's pretty cool!

Quote: That's how I brood, but for different reasons. I have slight back problems that make it difficult to bend over a lot. It does tend to help make them more friendly in my experience. I have no idea what's up with the solid white chick, though.

I will set 23 shipped paint silkie eggs later on tonight. This is my first time trying to hatch silkies and I can't wait to see if I get any paint colors.

Good hatching everyone!

Back
Top Bottom