The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

She has been broody for 4 days. The first two days she left when I let everyone out to graze. Now she won't leave her nesting area for anything. how many eggs are you going to put under your hen?

If I do it, it will only be three. These eggs are very large. She is just a tiny tot. :)

Hi there! Is it too late to be added to the group?

I set my eggs on March 1 - and by set, I mean I switched three, small, unfertilized silkie eggs with six gorgeous, full sized, fertilized eggs while the mama silkie was eating. I really wish I'd had a video camera on her when she returned to find the new eggs!

She has sat faithfully on them ever since. When should I expect them to hatch and do I need to do anything for them since she has cared for babies before? I mean, besides food and water and making sure they don't have pasty-butt? Also, at what point do I give up on the eggs ever hatching? Thank you for your advice!!
If you set on March first, then today was their 'due' date. You may see chicks under her in the morning. Do not let the chicks have access to layer feed. Switch the whole flock to a starter or grower, safer for everyone. Pasty butt isn't usually an issue with hen brooded chicks. It's usually caused by stress, and chicks that are raised by their momma are never subjected to the kinds of stress that day old, shipped chicks experience.

Last edited:
hugs.gif
Thanks Local. I forgot to mention that I missed lockdown, too. Thankfully none of them have tried to hatch yet!
th.gif

Man, when it rains it pours, right? Let's hope things will get better..at least you can still have a good hatch. Glad you are back, I was wondering where you were!
hugs.gif

Well, for a first timer I'm happy to report that I have 2 eggs that have hatched and it looks like there are 4 more that will hatch anytime. So with any luck the other 7 will follow. Yay!!!!!! I was so worried that none would hatch.

Congratulations! Fun ey?
wee.gif

Hi there! Is it too late to be added to the group?

I set my eggs on March 1 - and by set, I mean I switched three, small, unfertilized silkie eggs with six gorgeous, full sized, fertilized eggs while the mama silkie was eating. I really wish I'd had a video camera on her when she returned to find the new eggs!

She has sat faithfully on them ever since. When should I expect them to hatch and do I need to do anything for them since she has cared for babies before? I mean, besides food and water and making sure they don't have pasty-butt? Also, at what point do I give up on the eggs ever hatching? Thank you for your advice!!

Make sure mama and babies are in a safe place from the other birds. And, that the babies can't fall from where they are...high..? Or, low level on the ground..which is good. I always have my broody somewhere separate from the others, where they can't get to her and the babies food.
Hope you have some babies by morning! Let us know. :)

I heard peeping from the incubator! Tomorrow is going to try my patience.

I thought I heard something too, but wasn't sure if it was from my other babies in the other room. Wishful thinking? Too soon yet. But, by tomorrow night, I could hear something.

Just noticed DH mixed in the chick feed with the layer feed. He said he filled the bin two days ago. It looks like what I've been feeding is mostly chick feed but with layer crumbles here and there. I'll be getting flock raiser on Thursday to prevent future mishaps. So will my chicks be ok till Thursday?

Back
Top Bottom