The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Yesterday I got my first peafowl egg of the season... today my yellow gold pheasant laid her first egg ever :weee

So, candling at lockdown...  I threw out another 6 quitters, but I only have 4 that I am pretty sure are alive.

That's a whole bunch that I consider "dubious", and I'm afraid are dead, or ... well, never were - but they are all dark.

What could I be doing THAT wrong??  I feel awful...

I'm in the same boat. Feeling pretty down right now. I just hope the ones that did make it lockdown hatch

If she is close to hatch I would use hardware cloth (1/2") to create a screen cover for her box, simply cut it to size and tie it to screws in each corner with bread ties, wire or even baling twine. Put it on the evening before she is due to hatch. She won't leave the nest for the next 24hours or more anyway. Once she has a few chicks hatched you can decide if you want to leave her there or move her to a floor nest. A ramp should be installed if you leave her there and think she will return to that box, my hens usually pick a new place to nest at ground level for a couple of weeks.
Use caution in moving her mid brood though as already said, they are very picky and easily upset.

I think that that is what I'll do. Thank you!

LOCKDOWN!!!! Do not touch!!! This means me
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
So true! Time to go clean your house!

Lock down is today and now I'm nervous. What if none of these eggs hatch? Waiting is the worst part
Practice your cheeping sounds for when they start talking to you.
big_smile.png

Dumb question. I have an egg that is leaking goo and my incubator smells really bad when I open it. I couldn't candle that egg cuz it was too dark. Do I take it out and throw it? This is my first hatch.
Absolutely remove it before it explodes!

No external pips yet, but I hear chirping!
wee.gif
woot.gif

Quote: Bendy straws and medicine syringes are really good for adding water without opening the bator.

Should I be worried about how high up my mama hen is from the ground when her eggs hatch?

What if one of the chicks decide to got sky diving? Will she go after them or or stay on the eggs that still need to hatch?
Should I move her? Would she break her set on her eggs if I move her?
I'd let her hatch where she is, she won't take the chicks off the nest for a couple of days anyway. Then, you can make her a nest on the floor for her and the babies. Keep a close eye on her to make sure she's not going back up to the nest where the babies can't follow.

A bit unrelated to the HAL but... if you're collecting fertile eggs to incubate and you won't be incubating them for at least several days, do you have to turn those eggs? My two turkey hens are laying and I'd like to collect several days worth of eggs before setting them. I'm collecting them in an egg carton in the coolest room of my house, but I'm wondering if I should tilt the carton back and forth or put them in a turner or something.
Yep, tilt them.

Yesterday I got my first peafowl egg of the season... today my yellow gold pheasant laid her first egg ever
wee.gif

So pretty!

I just love my yellow gold hen!

Beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom