The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Hey guys do the my pet chicken no crow collar work because I live in a suburban area and really really want to keep one of the roosters that I hatch and I can't have him waking everyone up

[COLOR=B22222]CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF THE LOCK DOWNS, PIPS, INTERNAL PIPS, AND NEW BABIES. It's been fun seeing new ones already![/COLOR]
anigif_enhanced-buzz-29592-1334150905-47.gif
[COLOR=4B0082]I am in total agreement with Cynthia!! It's very exciting and LOVE :love seeing all the sweet baby pics!![/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!![/COLOR]
All this talk of pips and babies. I know it's day 19 here but COME ON BABIES!!!!! I'm doing everything to keep my hands off the incubator.
Yay for pips, cheeps, and peeps!! Can't wait myself I'm dieing I keep walking over and telling them to come out. But I just went into lockdown last night so I'm trying to be patient. Forgot how hard that is. :) 36 eggs here went into lockdown and tonight is "lockdown" on my first broody :) Good loluck everyone! Sorry for those that haven't had good luck in their hatches.

Thanks to all who commented on turning fertile eggs during storage prior to incubation. The only reason I question it is that I learned we turn incubating eggs so that the developing embryo doesn't stick to the membranes against the inside of the shell. Well, an egg that isn't incubating isn't growing an embryo so I wasn't sure if this was actually an important step. Honestly, I still question the science to it even though I see many of you do it. As long as nothing is developing in the egg, and you have it sitting straight up and down, won't the chalaza hold the yolk in place? If so, is tilting the eggs really doing anything to help? But since I'd only have to do it twice a day, and only for a handful of days, I might just do it anyway. I suppose it can't hurt. The room I have them in is in the low 60s but humidity in my house is no where near 75%. Not sure what to do about that!

Back on track, there's still no signs of life yet in my incubator. Come on day 20... I want to see some pipping action...

If you ever wanted an excuse to get one of those fog fountains this is your justification. They up the humidity. I am using one in my cabinet bator to get the humidity high enough for hatching.

Well no hatch for me all the eggs quit. It's probably because I don't know what I'm doing. Still kind of disappointing though. You guys better put up lots of pictures of your chickies hatching.

I know how that is. My first hatch was just under 50% with 12 eggs. Every hatch after that got worse until my new years hatch. There was one time I set 30+ eggs, and only two made it. Out of those 2, one died. Then, the one that made it was a week old, and we had a power outage. I kept that little guy against my skin for heat, but it died within 24 hours.

As someone else said, it's a learning process. Just follow advice from the masses, have multiple thermometers and hygrometers, and you'll be ok.

Hey guys do the my pet chicken no crow collar work because I live in a suburban area and really really want to keep one of the roosters that I hatch and I can't have him waking everyone up

I found that it didn't really work on my rooster. It just made him sound like he had a sore throat. I plan on retrying though on a different rooster.

Back
Top Bottom