The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

No pips yet for me, but they sure wiggle around when they hear Lucky the chick cheeping at them
fl.gif
(BTW: I love that little Lucky; he isn't afraid of me like the others because I had to help him with his muscle problem just after hatch last week. He'll let me pick him up voluntarily)

Wow. My first hatch went great. Strated with 12 eggs in my new janoel 12 incubator and 1 was infertile, 1 died around day 14, and I've got 10 healthy chicks! These chicks are going to a friend and soon I'll be ordering hatching eggs. I feel pretty confident after this hatch that at least I know how to use my incubator. Next time I will reduce the temperature a tiny bit since the entire hatch was early. I also started a little earlier than the official start.

It's not technically day 19 yet and I hear cheeping!
th.gif

I hope they slow down a little, I don't have the brooder set up yet and the heating pad I ordered for them won't be here until Tomorrow. I really don't want to get the heat lamp out
hide.gif

Moved the hatched babies to the brooder. This one is an explorer and keeps checking out the other big chicks outside the brooder. All 3 hatched from my brown layer but he's the only black one. The other 2 are yellow. I believe my new rooster finally started doing his job after I moved out the old rooster. On day 22. No more pips from the chicks. I have some small eggs in there from my sister in law. Her chicken lays eggs half the size of mine. I've successfully hatched from these eggs but right now they don't look like they will. They are still alive but no pips. And all the others pipped 2 days ago. They were all in the same group with same temp and humidity. Hope they pip today.

It's not technically day 19 yet and I hear cheeping!
th.gif

I hope they slow down a little, I don't have the brooder set up yet and the heating pad I ordered for them won't be here until Tomorrow. I really don't want to get the heat lamp out
hide.gif

I hear you on that! There have been 4 fires caused by those with BYC members since January. I changed my plans myself and ordered a heating pad. I am having to move to my bathroom instead of my basement though because the basement is too cool to get the temps over 78˚.

I hear you on that! There have been 4 fires caused by those with BYC members since January. I changed my plans myself and ordered a heating pad. I am having to move to my bathroom instead of my basement though because the basement is too cool to get the temps over 78˚.
I've heard of some local fires started by heat lamps as well, it's pretty scary.
Mine will probably end up in the garage, I'm hoping it's not too cold for them. But if I do have any early hatchers I might give them to my broody who has been sitting for over three weeks.

Back
Top Bottom