The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Ok, I have good and bad news. The good news is that the chick I assisted last night is doing well. The bad news is that out of the other 18 eggs left in the incubator, one is alive. The rest apparently got shrink wrapped like 2 days before hatch, due to my crappy incubator. I'm hoping the last little guy makes it though!

23 in the brooder. Of the 13 shipped eggs, 9 made it to lockdown, all 9 hatched, wonky air cells and all. 14 from my birds hatched, 2 assisted and in the incubator, 1 died in the shell. From what I could see, it absorbed everything and was trying to get out, but it was too big for it's shell. I have bad luck with my rsl's eggs.
th.gif

Ok, I have good and bad news. The good news is that the chick I assisted last night is doing well. The bad news is that out of the other 18 eggs left in the incubator, one is alive. The rest apparently got shrink wrapped like 2 days before hatch, due to my crappy incubator. I'm hoping the last little guy makes it though!

I'm sorry for your loss.
fl.gif
For your little guy.

Is it just me or does anyone else have extreme slackers. I had 2 hatch but no one else has pipped. I have been using a spray bottle and keeping the moisture up. It got past 80%. Plus the temperature has been all over the place since my room is always changing temperature as well. The two that hatch are doing very well though. The others are alive, I candled them and they were all moving with a internal pip.

I need a quick answer:
How many chicks should my Welsummer mama have? Right now she has six babies and 3 more pipped. And, I have 2 chicks in my Bator and 3 trying to hatch. Well, what Ik trying to ask is should I give my broody silkie some Chicks so that the Welsummer doesn't have too many and kill them?

Ok I've got 7 chicks out and they're jumping all over the other eggs constantly - I have several that are pipped still and 2 that are zipping...it's getting CROWDED and violent in there - when is the earliest and SAFEST the to start removing chicks to the brooder??!!

I pulled mine as soon as the dry a little. Like you I had a crowding problem. Looks like I lost 1 in shelll because babies rolled it over. Sad.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom