The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

So I am running a wild experiment tonight. Some of you know that I have a bantam Wyandotte hen with an injured hip. I got it to go back into place and wrapped her in an Ace bandage to hold things while it heals.Well today is day 4 and she has been lethargic and depressed all day. She wouldn't eat. So tonight I grabbed a couple of quail chicks from the brooder and put them in her box with her. I have her in a plastic tub in the living room. I put ground up feed in her bowl and the two chicks went after it. She just looked at them and after awhile she started taking little bites too. Right now they are up under her and cozy. I think she is going to adopt them. She was lonely and bored and in pain and was depressed but she has perked up. They are all fast asleep at the moment.

This was the best way to corral all 19 babies: 2 silkies, 1 showgirl, 2 CCL, 4 BBS Copper Marans, and the rest are various leghorn varieties. I am completely addicted!

Ok. I had 47 eggs make lockdown... Out of those 1 died in shell. So sad
1f62d.png
and 7 have not hatched.... Yet.... I just had one pop out and surprised me so I'll not call the count until tomorrow's candle. That makes 39 live Duffy chicks so far. Best hatch ever. 2 dozen of those eggs were shipped and only 4 haven't hatched b
That's a great hatch
1f60a.png

Help, so I hatched two chicks and I am scared to give them food/water until tomorrow morning (they are only 6-7 hours old)?

Ok. I had 47 eggs make lockdown... Out of those 1 died in shell. So sad
1f62d.png
and 7 have not hatched.... Yet.... I just had one pop out and surprised me so I'll not call the count until tomorrow's candle. That makes 39 live Duffy chicks so far. Best hatch ever. 2 dozen of those eggs were shipped and only 4 haven't hatched b

:yesss:

Momentary panic!!!
Just checked my incubator and the set temp was at 101.5!??? And my thermometers read 102 and rising!!!

Humidity was thankfully at 70% so cracked the lid a bit while I figured out that the set temp was way higher than it should be lowered it and closed the lid.
Humidity didn't drop much a few % it's back up now and the temp is normal.

SO GLAD I checked it when I did. I was only like that for about 10 mins.

What would cause my hova bator 1588 to randomly spike the set temperature like that?

Momentary panic!!!
Just checked my incubator and the set temp was at 101.5!??? And my thermometers read 102 and rising!!!

Humidity was thankfully at 70% so cracked the lid a bit while I figured out that the set temp was way higher than it should be lowered it and closed the lid.
Humidity didn't drop much a few % it's back up now and the temp is normal.

SO GLAD I checked it when I did. I was only like that for about 10 mins.

What would cause my hova bator 1588 to randomly spike the set temperature like that?

The eggs themselves generate heat in the end. You could be just a little time away from the chicks popping out.

I am so glad I went down to check mine just now. One of the bulbs burnt out but the temp had only dropped to 89˚.

The eggs themselves generate heat in the end. You could be just a little time away from the chicks popping out.

I am so glad I went down to check mine just now. One of the bulbs burnt out but the temp had only dropped to 89˚.

Glad we caught it in time.

It wasn't just that my temp spiked the digital thermostat raised the shut off point

Back
Top Bottom