The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

Eggs are right side up. However air cell saddled and larger than normal for 10 days.
The post was meant for:

Just candled the brahma & araucana eggs I set on the 10th, one araucana and one brahma egg fertile and progressing. I have moved them over to the Farm Innovator Incubator with the Easter Eggers. I have one Easter Egger egg with no air cell? I moved
it to the side row of the incubator. What would cause that? I'm wondering if it was already progressing when the egg was given to me from the neighbor's hen? All the Easter Eggers look further along than the two eggs I set on the tenth? They are all blue eggs so I can't see in them as well as the pinkish-tan Brahma eggs. But they have some healthy arteries by the air cells I can see, but the rest is dark - like they could hatch in a week. But I've never hatched Easter Eggers before. Maybe they are like Marans and you really can't tell cause the pigment won't let you see through it. Air cells are normal for the first week and humidity is on the low side @33% as the Farm Innovator doesn't have humidity control.

I hope yours are fine!

Just candled the brahma & araucana eggs I set on the 10th, one araucana and one brahma egg fertile and progressing. I have moved them over to the Farm Innovator Incubator with the Easter Eggers. I have one Easter Egger egg with no air cell? I moved
it to the side row of the incubator. What would cause that? I'm wondering if it was already progressing when the egg was given to me from the neighbor's hen? All the Easter Eggers look further along than the two eggs I set on the tenth? They are all blue eggs so I can't see in them as well as the pinkish-tan Brahma eggs. But they have some healthy arteries by the air cells I can see, but the rest is dark - like they could hatch in a week. But I've never hatched Easter Eggers before. Maybe they are like Marans and you really can't tell cause the pigment won't let you see through it. Air cells are normal for the first week and humidity is on the low side @33% as the Farm Innovator doesn't have humidity control.
The air sac could be really small. Or it could be broken. Do you see bubbles inside? It's really hard to see into dark eggs. If in doubt, leave it in.

I candled my eggs and out of 25 Just 4 where clear. One of those was a blood ring. Good odds. I saved eggs in case more was clear which I expected it would be but now I have eggs and no where to put them. :he

That’s good! Ugh on saving but if you hadn’t I bet you may have had more clear.. Always seems to be the case... another incubator maybe :lol:

That’s good! Ugh on saving but if you hadn’t I bet you may have had more clear.. Always seems to be the case... another incubator maybe :lol:
I sold all my incubators to keep from hatching too many. Last year I hatched close to 200 chicks. Well they have to be fed of course and have to have a secure enclosure. Oh and cleaned up after. It took me all year last year and part of this winter to sell them off. I just can't afford to do that again. So I plan to sell eggs this year. I used to sell alot of eggs when I had silkies. I really enjoyed sharing my pretty babies with others and the $$ helped pay for their feed and supplies. This year I need to raise the money to put in a run for a pen before my garden crops sprout. They destroyed my garden last year. We didn't get anything. Not even a tomato. So these will be going up for sale as soon as I get some good pics to post.

I know the feeling. I got out of hand with how many I was hatching too at one point. They were all mainly polish so lots of buyers wanted to hang on for when they were sexed which as in your case meant keeping & feeding them for longer. Plus polish can sometimes forever to decide what they are going to be! Not having my own eggs did curb me so getting rid of my boys did help in one sense.
Good luck with your new run/pen.

Back
Top Bottom