Pics
Yeah, I just prefer to use all-inclusive pronouns so I don't offend anyone. If you want free range birds with a little less gameyness and more egg laying than a cross would be much better, especially when you think that you'll be selecting for two things that the aseel was especially bred for. Selecting for less gameyness while also selecting for more egg laying means you'll rarely be able to find a pure bird with both traits, most likely you'd be selecting a bird with great egg laying ability that kills everything in sight, or the other way around. That's why I'm strongly suggesting you start with another breed or with a cross
What does a good Aseel usually produce in eggs? I keep thinking I'm just going to end up making my own 'breed', which was something I wanted to avoid, and not be able to stick with having a strain.

I don't know about US lines, but our guys here it's not unheard of to only lay 40 eggs a year, its not even unheard of for them to lay two clutches a year and finish. For what you're selecting, (un)fortunately it's very likely you'll end up with a very different looking bird

Last edited:
What does a good Aseel usually produce in eggs? I keep thinking I'm just going to end up making my own 'breed', which was something I wanted to avoid, and not be able to stick with having a strain.
Most aseel lines lay significantly less than 100 eggs a year. They’re usually highly inbred, which hae a major effect on laying. Nor were they artificially selected for egg laying prowess to begin with.

Personally I’m not big on keeping purity for the sake of purity. Functionality matters over pedigree. I’ve seen one line of Americanized aseels seem to lay well because at some point they had American gamefowl bred into and then buried in them. The line looks and acts like proper aseels, but with fuller feathering and somewhat better fertility. In my mind, a more healthy gamefowl with fresher genes is always superior to a highly inbred one that was kept pure for the sake of being pure.

To put it another way, today’s purebreds were yesterday’s cross breeds at some point.

I don’t believe a gamefowl is a dunghill based on whether its crossed to another gamefowl line. Instead, its a dunghull based on what personality and game drive was passed to it. If the offspring is docile and lacking in a dominance drive, then its a dunghill. If the offspring is strong and gamey, its not a dunghill.

I've done a LOT of perusing different breeds to look for certain traits over the last ten years, and the closest I've come to the basic bird I want seems to be Aseels, or like you guys are saying, something closely related. For example, the Cornish were a flop in the brooding department and never seemed very predator savvy to me. Kraienkoppes didn't have the carcass I wanted and the cocks must be straight from the bowels of hell, but they were great in other ways. I guess I'm kinda stuck having to modify a breed and not worry about SOP stuff. Oh well. I like the breeding process so I'm not too down and out.

I've done a LOT of perusing different breeds to look for certain traits over the last ten years, and the closest I've come to the basic bird I want seems to be Aseels, or like you guys are saying, something closely related. For example, the Cornish were a flop in the brooding department and never seemed very predator savvy to me. Kraienkoppes didn't have the carcass I wanted and the cocks must be straight from the bowels of hell, but they were great in other ways. I guess I'm kinda stuck having to modify a breed and not worry about SOP stuff. Oh well. I like the breeding process so I'm not too down and out.
Krainkoppe in the US aren't to European standard. Imo the proper ones sound like what you want but that going to take a good few generations to produce.

My KrainkoppexMalay hen is still laying and she almost 10. I am in the process of tracking down what happen to the GFF stock and contacting sandhill about their's since I really do love the breed, though I would most likely breed for bantam as ABA recognizes them.

Krainkoppe in the US aren't to European standard. Imo the proper ones sound like what you want but that going to take a good few generations to produce.

My KrainkoppexMalay hen is still laying and she almost 10. I am in the process of tracking down what happen to the GFF stock and contacting sandhill about their's since I really do love the breed, though I would most likely breed for bantam as ABA recognizes them.

That explains my way of thinking which is the reproductive cycle of an oriental is so much better. Hens keep laying for almost all their long lives, which I believe is so much better

Last edited:
I am not aware of any Malays that are game. Excepting only one guy who's stock is likley legit. There is no such thing as more stable. The best most stable cocks I've had would kill a male on sight. As to The survival chicken. Bullfrog is your man. He know what he is talking about.

Back
Top Bottom