Pics
They look pretty pure, may have some american game fowl or south american (pretty common crossing depending where you got them.)
@fluffycrow

They actually came from someone breeding them and selling them as Shamo. It didn’t take too long to see they were clearly not. I absolutely love how personable they are. Not at all hospitable with other chickens but love being with the human family. So engaging and intelligent. Posting a picture of the cockerel they are all out of. I lined it up next to a Turkish Asil and that’s what really tipped me off I might have asils and certainly didn’t have Shamo.

Attachments

• 72BA150F-9167-49B9-AF48-11E48B114A3A.png
    72BA150F-9167-49B9-AF48-11E48B114A3A.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • F8E0349C-CB99-4FE9-ADC7-557ABB365A2A.jpeg
    F8E0349C-CB99-4FE9-ADC7-557ABB365A2A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
@fluffycrow

They actually came from someone breeding them and selling them as Shamo. It didn’t take too long to see they were clearly not. I absolutely love how personable they are. Not at all hospitable with other chickens but love being with the human family. So engaging and intelligent. Posting a picture of the cockerel they are all out of. I lined it up next to a Turkish Asil and that’s what really tipped me off I might have asils and certainly didn’t have Shamo.

That's aseel! Very friendly birds, but not always so friendly with other chickens. Do you plan on breeding them?

That's aseel! Very friendly birds, but not always so friendly with other chickens. Do you plan on breeding them?
Well, trying to get my bearings amping experienced game fowl breeders is like trying to decode hieroglyphs. I’m very interested in working with a breed in need of preservation. My daughter and I also show for fun. Interested in breeding for sure, just don’t want to go down the path blind.

Yes I am! Joined some groups but didn’t have much luck getting any direction. Any groups you’d recommend send me a message I’d love to jump in.

Totally understandable! If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate asking for help here, I don't think people will be afraid to help you here. I agree, a lot of game breeders are wary, (some for more reasons than others) as gamefowl breeding is a little taboo for some. Sometimes the things we select for in these breeds is not something that everyone feels comfortable with. Even so, some aseel types are completely ornamental, but people dont know about them due to their rarity

Yes I am! Joined some groups but didn’t have much luck getting any direction. Any groups you’d recommend send me a message I’d love to jump in.

There’s several factors that can make gamefowl breeders hard to communicate with. I often try to guide my YouTube followers to try gamefowl, but they find most gamefowl breeders in their local areas too paranoid and difficult to deal with.

1. Like Miss Henny said, many are wary of people they don’t know. Some don’t have anything to do with cockfighting but are sensitive to being accused of such. Others are in fact still involved in that world and don’t want to deal with outsiders for that reason.

2. Gamefowl people sometimes resent non-gamefowl people trying their hands at raising gamefowl for the concern the breeds will be watered down or ill-bred. Many or even most gamefowl breeders don’t have an interest in promoting gamefowl to the wider public and in-fact are hostile to the notion, which I believe is a serious PR mistake on their part.

3. American gamefowl breeders often don’t think highly of oriental gamefowl and are inclined to disregard inquiries about them.

4. To the extent that humans may be attracted to animals that match their personalities, gamefowl people are often very opinionated and are ready to verbally fight over ideas about their birds with the same zeal game cocks like to physically fight one another. Its not uncommon for gamefowl fanciers to get off of speaking terms with each other over differences in opinion as to this or that aspect of gamefowl raising.

I think you’ll find more information and helpfulness here on this forum than on FB-type social media groups for gamefowl. Many of the people in those FB groups are in fact cockers using their birds for sport, and they’re often simply repeating conventional wisdom someone else repeated.

There’s several factors that can make gamefowl breeders hard to communicate with. I often try to guide my YouTube followers to try gamefowl, but they find most gamefowl breeders in their local areas too paranoid and difficult to deal with.

1. Like Miss Henny said, many are wary of people they don’t know. Some don’t have anything to do with cockfighting but are sensitive to being accused of such. Others are in fact still involved in that world and don’t want to deal with outsiders for that reason.

2. Gamefowl people sometimes resent non-gamefowl people trying their hands at raising gamefowl for the concern the breeds will be watered down or ill-bred. Many or even most gamefowl breeders don’t have an interest in promoting gamefowl to the wider public and in-fact are hostile to the notion, which I believe is a serious PR mistake on their part.

3. American gamefowl breeders often don’t think highly of oriental gamefowl and are inclined to disregard inquiries about them.

4. To the extent that humans may be attracted to animals that match their personalities, gamefowl people are often very opinionated and are ready to verbally fight over ideas about their birds with the same zeal game cocks like to physically fight one another. Its not uncommon for gamefowl fanciers to get off of speaking terms with each other over differences in opinion as to this or that aspect of gamefowl raising.

I think you’ll find more information and helpfulness here on this forum than on FB-type social media groups for gamefowl. Many of the people in those FB groups are in fact cockers using their birds for sport, and they’re often simply repeating conventional wisdom someone else repeated.

This explains it perfectly IMO

Back
Top Bottom