Pics
to answer your first question, yes horizontal tail placement is considered a fault for aseel, and yes, that applies to hens that have horizontal tail placement as well.

Thank you! This makes very good sense. I think I need to come to terms that the birds that got me interested may very well not become breeding stock. The SOP has a term in the shape description that is foreign to me and not a part of any of the descriptions of other oriental games. "Prominent neckbone "tutan" next to skull". Any insight on that?

If you are referring to the birds you showed yesterday, I didn't notice any particular faults with the tail placement, but that's just my opinion, if you would like to be more strict with your breeding, that's totally OK too! What I will say is, due to the fact that these breeds are rare, and the circles are pretty closed, some lines might be more inbred than others, and breeding to lesser quality specimens might be the only way out of the bottleneck, or of course crossing the breeds, but that's not something everyone likes. As for the SOP, I don't have the APAs SOP, so would you mind quoting the whole paragraph?

image.jpg

Alrighty game gurus…I have remembered a couple more questions that have been rolling around waiting for the right people to ask. First, the standard calls for disqualification of Aseels with a tail carried about horizontal. Now this I can see for Shamo, their angle is quite different, but would you cut an otherwise quality breeder over tail carriage? Seems like most of the Aseel hens I see have this apparent flaw. Next question, when working with rare breeds how do you determine your culls (from breeding programs not a chopping block cull). There are the obvious health issue and deformities that are no question but what about things like sop disqualification when all else is in alignment. I hear split wing in orientals is something that breeders overlook however this would not be the case in other non game breeds.
I have a different take. I don’t breed any of my large games to a standard of perfection. I find SOPs to often be contrary to what the true form and function of gamefowl should be. The only kind of my fowl I breed towards a SOP are my American game bantams, and I’m flirting with breeding a pygmy offshoot of my AGBs to the red junglefowl bantam SOP. The AGB SOP is the only bantam SOP I am aware of, except perhaps some of the oriental gamefowl bantams, that actually preserves a functionally athletic build into the breed. The OEGB of 100 years ago was also such a bird, but now the OEGBs that win shows look more like Seramas and less like mini bankivoid gamefowl.

I personally like an aseel hen to have her tail straight with her back and I disfavor aseel hens with high tail carriage. I associate high tail carriage with bankivoid gamefowl, not orientals.

If an oriental gamefowl is strong, healthy, limber, and has a high game drive, its a keeper in my book. I give bonus points to full feathered orientals and I disfavor tight, sparse, feathering. I also disfavor short tails and short wings. Not withstanding many orientals are defined by those traits.

I don’t do NPIP because I don’t believe in mandatory testing or culling based on antibody presence. I’m allowed to ship or sell anywhere within Florida, and I would also consider individual testing for health certificates for individual adults.

I don’t do NPIP because I don’t believe in mandatory testing or culling based on antibody presence. I’m allowed to ship or sell anywhere within Florida, and I would also consider individual testing for health certificates for individual adults.
I'll have to check the rules for mississippi since poultry our main industry they are pretty strict about bringing birds from out of state in.

Back
Top Bottom