Pics
I definitely don't disagree with you guys, I'm not one to focus on the SOP too much, but I know that @FaverollesFlock is interested in show birds, so for them the SOP would matter. As I said, for me the most important thing is the self evaluation, basically traits that I like to see in my birds, not what the SOP says. I agree with you, @Florida Bullfrog I also prefer birds with longer tails, and as mentioned before, I focus on temperament way more. A good gamey bird will always be selected above a bird with excellent confirmation but who doesn't want to fight. As for the tail carriage thing, high tail placement and horizontal tail placement aren't the same, and obviously high tail placement shouldn't be bred at all

https://www.mbah.ms.gov/regulations/chapter-12/

Trying to translate the legalnese but seem like if the birds have tested negative with right paperwork it's fine? >.< my braincells are running short due to life stuff.
Glancing at it, that appears to be what it is saying, and my general understanding is that poultry can be shipped with individual health tests and certificates verifying the bird is disease free.

I do believe the future of gamefowl in Western Europe and the United States is getting them in the hands of average hobbyists who can learn about their positive traits and the utility of keeping them gamey.
I think this summarizes why I even think twice about the SOP. My daughter enjoys showing and it's something we can do together. We are homesteaders, homeschoolers, and have no neighbors. Chicken people are our community. Short of inviting people to my property which I'm very unlikely to ever do, showing through the APA seems like the best way to show the next generation that there is value in keeping these birds around and thriving. They are a living piece of history, and there's simply no other backyard chicken like them. In a league of their own. However I don't care for the APA politics and I think that there are finer complexities to breeding that can't be described in a paragraph of a book.

Last edited:
I think this summarizes why I even think twice about the SOP. My daughter enjoys showing and it's something we can do together. We are homesteaders, homeschoolers, and have no neighbors. Chicken people are our community. Short of inviting people to my property which I'm very unlikely to ever do, showing through the APA seems like the best way to show the next generation that there is value in keeping these birds around and thriving. They are a living piece of history, and there's simply no other backyard chicken like them. In a league of their own. However I don't care for the APA politics and I think that there are finer complexities to breeding that can't be described in a paragraph of a book.
Imo breed some for show and others for preservation. I do believe breeding to standards can have benefits, specially in the age of all the fad breeds and crosses but we have to not be so harsh on ourself to cull quality birds because they have a very minute flaw.

There a reason why you have the category of pet quality, breeder, and show. Breeder is what we should strive for and enjoy the benefits of show when we get them.

I think gamefowl, especially aseel, can be one of those animals that you see less and less "working" ability when bred for show. This has also happened with some dog breeds, like the border collie, where there are now two very distinctly different dogs, the working and the show line. Often times aseel bred exclusively to standard may lack gameyness, which is the whole essence of an aseel. So I'd rather see birds further away from the standard, that still hold true to their fighting ability. Or, I'd like to see more show breeders prioritize temperament over type

So I'd rather see birds further away from the standard, that still hold true to their fighting ability. Or, I'd like to see more show breeders prioritize temperament
I could see this. Seems like a sill pursuit to take away the very spark inside these birds. I’d certainly never choose that path to take the game out. However, at least in the northern Midwest, there’s nobody showing any oriental games, the oriental game fanciers association dissolved, and I don’t see anyone in any group about games showing a kick of interest in exhibiting. Modern games on the other hand…they need their own building to fit them all. SO MANY. I honestly doubt most judges even know what they are looking at with Aseels.

I could see this. Seems like a sill pursuit to take away the very spark inside these birds. I’d certainly never choose that path to take the game out. However, at least in the northern Midwest, there’s nobody showing any oriental games, the oriental game fanciers association dissolved, and I don’t see anyone in any group about games showing a kick of interest in exhibiting. Modern games on the other hand…they need their own building to fit them all. SO MANY. I honestly doubt most judges even know what they are looking at with Aseels.
Modern Game fanciers are extremely popular, and in part their club members were smart and got the 4H and FFA crowd hooked. Similar to how Seramas are growing quickly in popularity.

Not pure asil but still wanted to share how they are coming along.

Attachments

• 043AB50A-E7E1-4ABC-B97D-862BAA517B6B.jpeg
    043AB50A-E7E1-4ABC-B97D-862BAA517B6B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • CF520A34-10D5-4ABC-A976-97B44A39BC2D.jpeg
    CF520A34-10D5-4ABC-A976-97B44A39BC2D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20B45C19-E273-4741-BF53-5B189EF8CEFA.jpeg
    20B45C19-E273-4741-BF53-5B189EF8CEFA.jpeg
    807.4 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom