Pics
So the SOP literally says for dark Shamo “this variety is essentially the same color as the dark Cornish although somewhat more variation is often experienced, and the ground color of the female is of a slightly lighter shade”

Maybe you can help!
Anyone willing to talk a little color genetics with me? Particularly those breeding to the SOP or working with standard colors?

2 of my young shamo stags (about 10 weeks old) have black hackles. According to the SOP this neither fits into the wheaten or the BBR categories and falls in the rather poorly defined "dark" category. Of course there is no visual aid in the newest SOP to accompany the dark shamo or the dark malay (which is often referenced as colors for shamo and malay are very similar).

1st: does anyone have dark oriental game they could share pictures of. Not black, but dark.
2nd: When breeding dark, would you only want dark to dark matings or could dark to wheaten produce color correct chicks? I'm concerned it will extend the black in my wheaten females which I don't want.

Thanks in advance!
Dark Cornish hens have black double lacing on a rich red/mahogany color. Roosters have much more black than the hens, and do not look very laced.

For photos of Dark Cornish, I suggest this page:
https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Cornish/BRKCornish.html

In the US, the Dark Cornish seem to be mostly based on e+ (wild-type, with chipmunk-striped chicks), although I've had at least one Dark Cornish Bantam that was E^Wh/e+ (split for wheaten and wild-type). I've read that in Australia they are often wheaten-based (chicks a pale gold/yellow color, few or no stripes.) The adult color seems to be about the same in either case.

But the Darks have the pattern gene and melanotic, which would not be found in correctly-marked birds of the Wheaten color variety. The black hackles in Darks are caused by some other gene, maybe charcoal.

I think crossing the varieties would not be a good idea. You need the correct patterning (black & brown) on the body of the Darks and you do not want that patterning on the body of the Wheatens. So the actual wheaten gene at the e-locus (E^Wh) might not be a problem, but several of the other genes would be a problem if you mixed the varieties.

Anyone willing to talk a little color genetics with me? Particularly those breeding to the SOP or working with standard colors?

2 of my young shamo stags (about 10 weeks old) have black hackles. According to the SOP this neither fits into the wheaten or the BBR categories and falls in the rather poorly defined "dark" category. Of course there is no visual aid in the newest SOP to accompany the dark shamo or the dark malay (which is often referenced as colors for shamo and malay are very similar).

1st: does anyone have dark oriental game they could share pictures of. Not black, but dark.
2nd: When breeding dark, would you only want dark to dark matings or could dark to wheaten produce color correct chicks? I'm concerned it will extend the black in my wheaten females which I don't want.

Thanks in advance!
According to the SOP, Dark is the same as Dark Cornish but with slightly lighter ground color on the female which is pretty well known.
F6FF20EC-2254-4CCD-B5DE-76BC0827238C.jpeg
DF659FA6-DD92-4903-A648-16BF00269D0F.jpeg

I would recommend breeding dark to dark because melanizers.

I just read this claim about Asil on the internet.
Realistic or madness?
View attachment 3540460

Partly accurate and partly ludicrous. They are extremely people oriented, but not to the point of protecting the owner from threats. They have also been observed to hunt,but it's not a learnt behavior. If you have mice and aseel on your property, expect them to be gone sooner rather than later, but you can't just go hunting with then like you would a dog. Aseel definitely are very aware of their surroundings, and are usually the first to alert, so from that perspective yes, they would make good "watchdogs", I just don't like the word. I think alert and observant fits them more, and does not lead to unnecessary confusion

I just read this claim about Asil on the internet.
Realistic or madness?
View attachment 3540460
strong bonds with their owner or the person that cares for them? yes most asils
intelligent watchdogs? they certainly are smarter than most breeds of chicken and can spot hawks and warn their hens and can actually kill some predators

strong bonds with their owner or the person that cares for them? yes most asils
intelligent watchdogs? they certainly are smarter than most breeds of chicken and can spot hawks and warn their hens and can actually kill some predators

Bingo. They are very predatory. It's just not something you can train or put on command

My one and only Asil hen just hatched her first clutch of eggs. 21 chicks. She is an absolutely ferocious mother and won't allow other birds within six feet of her babies

She went broody on an old egg dump underneath my house, so she probably has a huge assortment of chicken breeds following her around right now
4.jpg

5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom