Pics
I am going to make a weird comparison, but I hope it makes sense. I'm going to compare aseel with dogs. A border collie who has no shot at winning a show, might be the best herding dog in the country. This brings us to the form follows function vs function follows form debate. Before we go to that, I'd like to say this. For most breeders, dog and chicken alike, it's health first, temperament second, conformation third. As such, a bird who has good conformation and temperament, but bad health can't be a good bird. Same goes for a bird with good conformation and health, but bad temperament. A bird with bad temperament and health can never be a good gamefowl, but a bird with good health and temperament, and mediocre conformation can be a good gamefowl. What I'm trying to get to with my rather exaggerated point, is that when we focus too much on type, we tend to loose temperament. I have no doubt in my mind that a bird who has all three will be better at doing the job at hand than the bird who is lacking in type. I do believe though that a bird can have more appearances than one and can be a good gamefowl. So as BigtomTurkey said, most aseel are bred to a "working" standard, rather than a "show" standard. The only standard for the aseel out there is the SOP, and I don't think we have an SOP aseel breeder here. To sum my probably very confusing chunk of text up, what I'm basically trying to say is that any gamefowl breeder that is not an APA SOP breeder, that points out aspects of a proper aseel (other than the very crucial ones) are simply personal preference

According to wikipedia, there are many different "varieties" of Asil scattered across Asia-
There are many varieties of Asil. Among them are the Amroha, Bhaingam, Kilimooku, Kulang, Lasani, Madras, Mianwali, Reza and Sindhi types.
If this information is anywhere near accurate it makes me suspect that Asil is more of a slang term rather than one that refers to objective genetic definitions. Kind of like Easter Egger

According to wikipedia, there are many different "varieties" of Asil scattered across Asia-

If this information is anywhere near accurate it makes me suspect that Asil is more of a slang term rather than one that refers to objective genetic definitions. Kind of like Easter Egger

Yes, sort of. Aseel is more of a suffix. An umbrella term of sorts. There are madras aseel, bengum aseel, Heera aseel. Those classifications don't apply in the show ring. In addition, there is much debate as to what an aseel is. But most aseel we have, will be mixes, so aseel is the only name we can use for them

I'm clear that Aseels have tons of variation. What I'm looking for is the proper body shape, not the entire package. Shear off the legs, neck and tail and look at what's left. If it's got a big fluffy butt and soft, deep abdomen, I think all of us would agree it's not an Aseel at all. How does that bird function if it's got a laying hen's body with some Aseel-like appendages? Same with a flat, skinny body. Where are the lungs, heart and other organs? Crammed up inside and likely less efficient. Maybe breeding purely based on performance eliminates those outliers, but I won't be actually fighting my birds to find out. So where do I go from there? I think gameness can be determined outside the pit, and even conditioned birds surprise their owners sometimes.

Hopefully this isn't considered promoting illegal activity, which I am not intending. If you think it's pushing it I'll delete it. Games are difficult because staying true to their nature necessitates pondering things like this, and I wish people didn't jump to conclusions about those who own them.

This thread mainly serves as a place for all aseel and Oriental game fowl lovers and breeders to come together and talk about their upcoming breeding, or otherwise, projects, their hopes for the future, facts and pictures of their birds, breed information, a place for newer people in the breed(s) to ask questions, I think you get the point :)
Looking around the forum, I didn't find a thread, or many threads really about Oriental game breeds, and I believe our birds and our breeds desperately need more recognition, and this is just way of going about it

They are some of the smartest, in my opinion THE smartest (but I'm biased so...) chicken breeds out there, they are the best and fiercest mothers, and incredibly stunning!
What's not to love!!!!
So if anyone wants to post anything on here, their latest hatch, a longterm project, off the top of my head I can remember @MysteryChicken 's and @Florida Bullfrog 's breeding projects,but they're certainly more, just an appreciation post about your favourite birds is very welcome as well

I hope I was clear and coherent enough, that's all from me, enjoy the new aseel thread!!!
Hi there… so I have three fellas that I’ve been told are Aseel based (to put it into a word) they’re amazing birds nonetheless but as experts can you confirm they’ve got Aseel in them ?

Attachments

• IMG_3151.png
    IMG_3151.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2900.jpeg
    IMG_2900.jpeg
    768.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2905.jpeg
    IMG_2905.jpeg
    703.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3822.jpeg
    IMG_3822.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
I get that people who show spend way too much time and effort on looks. That's not what I'm about here. A border collie who steps all over his own feet because they are improperly formed won't win a show OR herd sheep efficiently, whether he listens well and tries his best or not. He's gonna hurt himself. I don't care about color, nice soft feathers or pretty hackles. I care about the bone structure and basic form that helps the bird do the job he was designed to do. If you breed collies with bad hips or bad teeth, or into the shape of a pug, I think you're degrading the breed and causing unnecessary suffering to the animal.

Hi there… so I have three fellas that I’ve been told are Aseel based (to put it into a word) they’re amazing birds nonetheless but as experts can you confirm they’ve got Aseel in them ?

Looks like modified pea comb. Which means, heterozygous pea comb. So my guess is second generation aseel cross

I get what you're saying. Like you said, none of us are ACTUALLY proving them with fighting. Bad hips ands stuff are health though, so those are number one (like I mentioned above). Unfortunately, the only true standard is the SOP. All other "standards" are just preferences of every breeder, and stuff that's worked for them. Obviously strong bones, thick legs, things like that are universal though. I would encourage you to look into the APA SOP

Back
Top Bottom