Pics
If I extend from the coop a run as wide as the coop and 16' long that would give the birds just over 38 sq' each. For standard type breeds I know that is a gracious plenty. Having never had game type chickens before that like to roam I know, is my combination of coop and run large enough not to create a lot of stress among the hens? Thoughts?

Last edited:
That sounds plenty fine to me. Even better would be splitting it and rotating them between the two, so vegetation doesn't disappear. But that's pretty luxurious, and ambitious. I've seen far smaller pens, and use of a deep mulch helps in that case.

I am home all day monitoring my birds, and since they're still young I play 'mother' by walking them around the property to forage periodically. That's a pretty high level of dedication, but one I'm willing to meet since my setup is still incomplete. I still had a bad fight at 6-7 weeks where I almost lost one. These Atkinsons are less game than many other strains like the Hyderabads, where hens killing cocks is not rare, so if you get them it's a bit more laid back. 'Beginner Asils' lol.

Hey guys ! I am new here and would gladly welcome your comments and advices on my undergoing aseel project.
I wish to establish a trademark strain and game style.
Thankyou

SAVE_20230727_141342.jpg
SAVE_20230727_141120.jpg

Two girls I retained from last winter hatch.

Welcome! I'm definitely partial to the first hen. 😉 I only have hatchery stock that I'm hoping to make decent over the course of the next 5-10 years, nothing of good quality.

I don't know if you've heard of Kenny Troiano, but he's got a lot of good free stuff on creating and maintaining your own strain without having to add new blood, so if that's a goal check him out. A lot of people knock him, but he takes all the old wives' tales out of breeding and replaces it with sound genetics, which is refreshing.

I think I speak for everyone in here when I say feel free to post all you want. We love seeing everyone's birds!

Hello, not wanting tho start another thread, however i am interested in compiling a list of different aseel breeds. Does anyone have any good resources where i can start ? Are there any good books that document this ancient breed ?

Back
Top Bottom